News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Troubleshooting: Use system images to fix major PC hassles

Home Forums AskWoody blog Troubleshooting: Use system images to fix major PC hassles

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 month ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Windows 10 has a built-in (and ancient) whole-disk backup tool called System Images. It works, most of the time, but you need to know about the gotcha
      [See the full post at: Troubleshooting: Use system images to fix major PC hassles]

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1599855 Reply

KWGuy
      AskWoody Plus

Per Mr. Lasky’s Newsletter tutorial (“Gotcha #3”) re using the W7 method to create a system image:  “If you pick a hard drive, make sure it’s formatted correctly and has free storage space equal in size to the space used on the drive you’re imaging.”

So, if I’m creating a full image to an external HD, does this mean that the USED space on my laptop will equal the size of the image on the external HD 1:1?  I think that is what he is saying, but want to be sure before I purchase an ext HD.

If there’s no compression of the image, and I want to store multiple images on the same HD, then I need to buy a larger ext HD than anticipated!

With every Newsletter I learn something new and useful!!!  Keep ’em coming!

• #1600716 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

does this mean that the USED space on my laptop will equal the size of the image on the external HD 1:1?

No. Backup image applications compress the data for the image file. I use Acronis for image backup.
      My C drive has 60GB of data and D drive has 42GB. The image size that contain both drives is 59GB.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1600997 Reply

anonymous

Thank you very much for the insightful article.

Why oh why does Windows-10 continue to make what should be a simple process so complicated and full of “gotchas”?   People criticize those who are staying with Windows-7.  Yet, this just reinforces the wisdom of staying with a known OS that works reliably!  Will Microsoft ever “get the message” and then act responsibly?

• #1629222 Reply

anonymous

System Restore points are not really “backups”.

I would suggest a repair install using an in-place upgrade rather than a reset.

• #1596538 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

There are several other, third-party programs that handle this better.

I use Acronis True Image (paid). It has all the benefits with no drawback.

I run full backup (all partitions on drive C (OS) and drive D (data) to en external HD twice a month (First of a month and 15th) Between 1-15 an 15-31 I take incremental backups.
      In addition I run daily scheduled File History/Shadow Copy (like restore point):

Configure Shadow Copy For Windows 10

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1603054 Reply

CyGuy
      AskWoody Plus

Do you think the same failure would occur if one left the files where they are but renamed them, as I do?

• #1625068 Reply

rc primak
      AskWoody_MVP

* paid versions only

-- rc primak

• #1626711 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

I run full backup (all partitions on drive C (OS) and drive D (data) to en external HD twice a month (First of a month and 15th)

Consider at least a system image just before Patch Tuesday.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Troubleshooting: Use system images to fix major PC hassles

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.