News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • trying to turn off Windows 10 Home updates

Posted on BlueIris Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 trying to turn off Windows 10 Home updates

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Bluetrix 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

BlueIris
      AskWoody Lounger

I am a former applications programmer, so not an operating systems person.  However, I had figured out how to turn off the Windows 10 Home updates and would turn them back on periodically when I had the time to deal with fallout from them.  This was reinforced by tremendous problems when the April 2018 updates were installed — it took me until January 2019 to resolve them completely.  Recently, it seems that my methods aren’t working as well as before — at least two updates have slipped through with the latest being 2019-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4489899).

Currently, I have Windows Update in Component Services switched to “Disabled” — although when I checked on it after that last update, somehow it had been switched to Manual and was running.

I also have deleted tasks associated with Automatic App Update, Reboot, ScanForUpdates Scheduled Start with Network, Scheduled Start, and UpdateAssistant in the Task Scheduler.

What am I missing, such that I’ve gotten two updates lately?

• #341962 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

The only thing Home has built in is setting the Internet connection to Metered and using wushowhide.diagcab (download from Microsoft) to hide updates.

Another solution, pay the $100 for Win10 Pro upgrade – there are some controls there.

Another solution is third-party programs that stop Windows Update such as WuMgr and O&O Shutup 10

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #342055 Reply

Bluetrix
        AskWoody Plus

I agree with @pkcano on O&O. @microfix introduced me to O&OShutup, works as advertised. Also shuts off the majority of telemetry if you decide to do that.

In one huge way it’s better than sending M$ another $100 for the privilege of just delaying an update. With O&O you choose when and if Windows will update.

Windows10 Home 1803 | Mint19 on VM

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: trying to turn off Windows 10 Home updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.