News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Turn your TV into a Smart TV

Posted on MrJimPhelps Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Connected home / Internet of things Turn your TV into a Smart TV

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

mn– 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

Here’s an easy way to turn your TV into a Smart TV.

Someone recently gave me a Dell Vostro 430 with no memory and no video. I purchased 8 GB of RAM on Ebay for $22.75, and a 1 GB video card for $18.

I didn’t want to crawl under my house to run an Ethernet cable, so I purchased a Panda USB wifi adapter (Panda works very well with Linux Mint, which is the OS I installed on the computer). I plugged in the Panda adapter, and it worked immediately without my having to install a driver.

I already had a wireless mouse and keyboard, so I moved them to the Vostro.

For good measure, I plugged the computer and the TV into a spare battery backup unit (UPS) that I had available.

I now have a very fast computer attached to my TV’s HDMI port, controlled by a wireless mouse and keyboard which I keep on my coffee table.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #336765 Trash | Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

… now all you need is an appropriate kind of DVB tuner for the PC so you can actually watch and record TV through that.

Hm, I guess it’s about time for me to update mine, it’s still running Ubuntu 14.04… also a Lenovo chassis, an old one that doesn’t have enough USB bandwidth to simultaneously record DVB-T2 and print on the USB-connected printer.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Turn your TV into a Smart TV

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.