News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Two OneDrives: Business and Personal

Posted on CWBillow Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 365 and Click-to-Run Two OneDrives: Business and Personal

Topic Resolution: Not Resolved

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

I have, of course the OneDrive that comes with Windows 10.  I then also have the OneDrive that comes with Office 365 Pro.  While the personal is 15 gigs, the business is 1 TB.

I can copy or move the files from the “personal” to the “business”, but is there a way to “hide” the personal and “unlink” it?

Chuck Billow

• #1989796 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

See if How to Disable OneDrive and Remove It From File Explorer on Windows 10 helps.

Be careful about which you get rid of.

--Joe

• #1990103 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

Joe, truly!  I’ll take a look, and MAYBE try it!

Thanks,

Chuck Billow

• #1990105 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

Joe, it actually looks petty straightforward — except that it is written, seemingly, with the assumption that the user has only one OneDrive, or at least there is no indication in the article or in gpedit of multiples.  Perhaps that means if I “turn off” one, they will both be affected.

Maybe I should wait a bit on this until I am more clear as to the workings of the process.

Chuck Billow

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by CWBillow.
      • #1990210 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Well there’s two different things here.

Unlinking is trivial. Just open that instance of OneDrive settings, go to the Account pane, and click on “Unlink this PC”. (On current versions you should have separate cloud icons for the business and personal sides.)

That’ll leave the local copy though, it’s not deleted automatically… but if it’s unlinked, deleting it shouldn’t cause any other effects if you choose to do so. Not sure what’ll happen if you just set the folder as hidden, with standard NTFS attributes.

• #1990664 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

Okay, here’s where this OneDrive issue has progressed: I put text files, “OneDrive Personal.txt” on the personal (Windows 10) OneDrive, and “OneDrive Business.txt” on the OneDrive that is part of my MS Office subscription, in order to identify them.

Those files show up in the appropriate OneDrive folders on my desktop (personal icon).

As part of my startup, a command runs (x’s for password):

net use o: https://d.docs.live.net/0D0CE3E008CF73CA /user:username@emailaddress.com xxxxxxxxxx

That maps “O” just fine — except that nether text file “OneDrive Personal” or “OneDrive Business” shows up on my now set “Drive O”. I an put files, or retrieve files, from my drive “O”, but…

The mapping appears to be correct (I doubled-checked the web address by logging into OneDrive directly, and the respective folders show up there, so how can that be? Is/are it/they just not synced? OK, so I went to sync them, and neither OneDrive is showing an icon in the tray.

OK, so I went to https://tinyurl.com/y4f3ypjz, follow the instructions, and neither icon is showing ANYWHERE. I then went to https://tinyurl.com/y4wy9yu8 — no tray icon(s).

OK, says me, somebody or something is trying to punk me.

What is my next step to clearing this up?

Chuck Billow

• #1990886 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

While the mapping seemed to work, I wasn’t seeing any Onedrive icon(s) in the tray — that was/is because they were turned off!

So, now they are both showing, leaving me only the mapping issue.

The command above maps the personal onedrive fine.    The command

net use o: https://d.docs.live.net/0D0CE3E008CF73CA /user:name@domain.com xxxxxxxxxx

Has no problems.

But to do the same thing with my business OneDrive, do I use

https://5dsenpcokh88zk1wddbbimdubwm-my.sharepoint.com/personal/name_domain_com/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx

?

That would seem not quite right, and it doesn’t seem that mapping via My Computer / Map a Network Drive shows / allows Business OneDrive folders to work with either.

Chuck Billow

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by CWBillow.
        • #1991090 Reply
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

But to do the same thing with my business OneDrive, do I use

That would seem not quite right, and it doesn’t seem that mapping via My Computer / Map a Network Drive shows / allows Business OneDrive folders to work with either.

Well yeah. OneDrive for Business is a bit funny that way. It works IF you go log into the ODfB web interface with Internet Explorer first, and have the (whatever)-my.sharepoint.com site set as trusted. Have to redo the IE visit regularly too.

Apparently that method isn’t recommended any more. Microsoft only advertises the sync method nowadays. There are all kinds of risks with direct use that the sync method mitigates with out-of-band retry and other background work.

Alternatively you can use third-party software to do the direct-access drive. There’s at least Thinkscape Zee Drive (complicated licensing and pricing), a free PowerShell script by Jos Lieben that needs to be edited to fill in your configuration details, Rclone + WinFsp combination that’s also free and complicated to use… and they also have about the same risks as the old IE-engine drive mapping.

So what exactly were you trying to do?

(Oh and I’d recommend you hide your email address / services login)

• #1991312 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

I am in the process of deciding/migrating my storage from OneDrive Personal to the OneDrive (Business) that came along with Office (Business).  As mentioned, I have my (personal) OneDrive mapped, and I wanted to do that sane with OD Business.

It seems that that is not only not recommended, but advised against.

Pity, because it certainly is convenient, and the OD Business is a good deal larger than the Personal.

Chuck Billow

• #1991341 Reply
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

It seems that that is not only not recommended, but advised against.

Well yes, and this part applies to mapping the personal OneDrive too, actually. Same risks.

Still if you really want to do it, it’s possible. Just use IE to log into the ODfB web interface and set it as trusted, first.

• #2097387 Reply
        8string
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t understand why you’re mapping this, and maybe there’s something I’m just missing here really. When you use OneDrive meaning the sync application to map your business and personal one drive folders, they show up in the file explorer exactly as you would expect them to. You can attach to them any where you want once you’re there, so why would you need to care whether or not they are a specific drive letter? sorry if I’m a bit dumb on this but I’m just trying to understand why you’re needing to do it the way you’re doing it and why you just don’t go with the way that it is in the file explorer?

The files in one drive are referred to as URLs not specific paths like the old days.

I have not missed having paths  to my one drive files at all so help me understand why they need it? i’m sure there must be a reason I’m just not understanding it.

• #2098773 Reply
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

When you use OneDrive meaning the sync application to map your business and personal one drive folders, they show up in the file explorer exactly as you would expect them to. You can attach to them any where you want once you’re there, so why would you need to care whether or not they are a specific drive letter?

When you use the sync application, you’ll find the files consuming local disk space. Also, any access control will be “as of last sync”; local disk tends to be fast, but changes appearing on server needs a sync run.

With direct mapping, the files will only be stored on the server, and access control will be current as of time of access/attempt. Access will happen at network speeds (which can be slow) but takes immediate effect on server.

Sometimes you will prefer the latter mode. Especially in non-cloud environments (corporate on-premises SharePoint).

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Two OneDrives: Business and Personal

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.