News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Ubuntu 21.10 Impish Indri released with Linux 5.13 kernel and GNOME 40

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Non-Windows operating systems » Linux – all distros » Ubuntu 21.10 Impish Indri released with Linux 5.13 kernel and GNOME 40

Author
    Topic

Impish Indri Release Notes

https://releases.ubuntu.com/impish/

Ubuntu 21.10 will be supported for 9 months until July 2022. If you need Long Term Support, it is recommended you use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 64 instead.

https://www.howtogeek.com/759471/whats-new-in-ubuntu-21-10-impish-indri/

• This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Alex5723.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

So this is the next LTS Kernel(5.13) and really I’m on Kernel 5.11 and once again the Realtek WiFi is borked(1) so I’ve had to revert to the earlier 5.11 kernel that works fine with the Laptop’s Realtek WiFi. But it’s that old Linux/Realtek curse rearing its head once again. The bad thing about that 5.11 HWE Kernel series is that it’s not LTS so goes unsupported in Feb 2022 and the 5.4 LTS kernel that’s LTS lacks the Fan/Drover profile fix the allows the ASUS laptop’s fans to ramp properly under load so the Laptop will not work with Kernel 5.4. So Hopefully Mint 20.3 will pick this 5.13 LTS kernel up as that distro is downstream from Ubuntu! But I’ll remain on the next older 5.11 kernel version that’s still working properly and see if the issue is resolved with an even newer 5.11  kernel release.

But once 5.13 arrives that will be good for the ASUS laptop with that being LTS if there are any future Realtek WiFi issues.

(1)

linux-meta-hwe-5.11 (5.11.0.38.42~20.04.17) focal; urgency=medium Kernel.

RTL8821CE 802.11ac WiFi broken with this kernel and I’ve tried the Laptop(ASUS Tuf FX505DY-WH51) with Secure Boot Enabled and Disabled to see if it was any kernel signing issue from the open source driver(Out of Tree) for that WiFi hardware.

Look like I did not read closely enough and it’s a non LST release so back to the shorter Kernel update cycle there but I’d hate to be using a non supported Kernel if that WiFi issue persists with the Realtek WiFi that’s been problematic on certain kernel updates.  And it was a great hassle getting that RTL8821CE 802.11ac Kernel Signing done to get that to load in the Kernel with Secure Boot enabled but eventually I was able to get that doen for the Open Source(Out of Tree) WiFi driver for that WiFi(M.2) module.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    Reply To: Ubuntu 21.10 Impish Indri released with Linux 5.13 kernel and GNOME 40

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.