News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Ubuntu 21.10 Performance better than Windows 10/11 by up to 50%

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Linux – all distros Ubuntu 21.10 Performance better than Windows 10/11 by up to 50%

• Author
        AskWoody Plus

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-11-september&num=1

Ubuntu 21.10 “Impish Indri” to be released on Oct. 14

..This round of testing all took place on an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X desktop with 2 x 8GB DDR4-3600 memory, WD_BLACK SN850 1TB NVMe SSD, and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 graphics.

Windows 10 21H1 with all stable release updates was tested, Windows 11 22000.168 with its latest public state as of last week, and then Ubuntu 21.10 with its daily ISO as of 1 September were all benchmarked…

Out of 107 different tests run, Ubuntu 21.10 was in front 67% of the time while the rest of the wins were split by Windows 10 and Windows 11..

Overall, Windows 11 Insider Preview is still trailing Windows 10 in some workloads but overall seems to be delivering similar performance to Windows 10 21H1..

anonymous

? says:

good news, Alex. and it only needs 2GHZ dual core, 4 gig ram, 25 gig hdd, can your hot-to-trot win11 do that?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

4 users thanked author for this post.
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

My personal Windows 10 experience:

Try to delete shortcut (*.lnk) icon from the desktop on a domain-joined computer.

++ Select the icon
        ++ press SHIFT+DEL
        ++ wait 5 seconds
        ++ admin prompt will appear
        ++ wait another 5-10 seconds
        ++ progress bar will appear
        ++ it takes 2 seconds to reach progress 100%

(Dell Latitude 7410, 16BG RAM, Intel i7-8650, very powerfull machine)
        I have seen this hundreds of times.

Shortcut size is 4KB.
        I dont know, if the animation of progrssbar “progressing” is supposed to take at least 2 seconds, but I cant understand why it takes so long to delete 4 KB. Windows is full of this look-orientated junk. Its not performance-orientated, but still, its HW reauirements still grow.

Windows 10 are quite good in multitasking, but the overall experience is not so fast, sadly. GNU/Linux is the way to go for older PCs, they still can function very well, when it comes to reading and writing email, reading news and watching TV.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Ubuntu 21.10 Performance better than Windows 10/11 by up to 50%

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.