News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Ubuntu Server for home network

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration Ubuntu Server for home network

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

I run Linux Mint as the host OS on my main home computer. My data drive is on that computer, and I would like to be able to share the data drive with all of the other computers at my house. I used to be able to do that – I somehow configured Samba the right way, and like magic I was able to share my data drive with all other computers at my house.

Then one day I needed to do a reinstall of Linux Mint. Like a good geek, I did a “wipe the drive” reinstall, wiping out my Samba configuration (and the instructions) in the process. I’ve never been able to share the drive since then.

I thought about installing Windows 10 as the host OS on my home computer, but I kind of prefer to stick with Linux. I like Mint, so Ubuntu Server seems to be a natural choice.

It’s going to be about a week before I do this, so I’d be interested in hearing any thoughts along these lines. Anyone have experience with home network, mainly file sharing? Anyone tried Ubuntu Server? What was your experience?

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

Update: I downloaded and installed Ubuntu Server in a virtual machine. The interface is all text, no graphics! Unless there is a graphic interface I can install over it, it won’t work for me, because not only do I want to use it for networking my home computers, but I also want to use it as a regular computer.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

Update #2: I installed the Nemo file manager on my Linux Mint computer – Nemo is like other file managers, but it has an added benefit that I haven’t found in any other Mint file manager, and that is the ability to make a folder shareable. You simply open Nemo, go to the folder you want to share, right-click on the folder, choose Sharing Options, and turn on “Share this folder”! You then check the appropriate boxes below the share switch, and you’re good to go! (You might need to reboot the computer after doing this.)

Note: I’m not sure is it is necessary to install Samba on the computer in order for this to work. Samba IS installed, so I can’t tell if it will work without it.

My wife can now access my data drive from her Windows 10 laptop – my data drive is truly our network drive now. In fact, I can access the shared drives from all of my other computers.

The only thing I was looking for in all this was the ability to share the hard drives on my main Linux Mint computer with the other computers in the house, and Nemo has made that happen.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        1 user thanked author for this post.
          Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

Nemo is the regular file manager for Mint Cinnamon. It will work with other desktops too, but if you use Cinnamon, you’ve already got it! It blends in well with the other Mint variants, as they all use the same GTK+ theme.

Other file managers may have Samba sharing plugins available in the repo too. Nemo is a really good file manager though, and I like it more than Caja or Thunar (in Mate and Xfce, respectively).

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.0 User Edition)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Ubuntu Server for home network

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.