News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Unable to connect to webinar

Posted on Vincenzo Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Unable to connect to webinar

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

A friend has been unable to connect to webinars from an organization she is a member of.

Whenever she clicks the link she gets a message from the browser saying the connection to the page is insecure. She has tried it in 3 different browsers.

Yet when she sends me the link, I am able to connect with no problem.

Here is the link:
        https://is-tracking-link-api-prod.appspot.com/api/v1/click/6451829549563904/6693377634467840

When  I click it, it goes momentarily to the prod.appspot.com site and then it re-directs successfully to gotowebinar.com.

I have logged in remotely to her computer and disabled her Windows Defender real time protection, that was no help.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Vincenzo.
      • #2171283 Reply
        jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

What happens when she tries to go directly to the actual link?

• #2171286 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

Going directly works fine for her.

Thanks

• #2171661 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

I logged into her computer and did more digging.

It turns out all of her browsers are detecting that the security certificate for the prod.appspot.com page expired on August 9 2019, that is why they will not load it. One of her browsers gives the option to go there if I really want to, but then it gives the message unable to find the page.

So it makes me wonder why my computer has no issue with it. We are using the same 3 browsers.

I am unable to check that certificate on any of my browsers because it flies right through that page and right to the webinar page too fast for me to do anything.

Is it possible she is seeing a different certificate? She is in a different state and uses Cox, while i am on Comcast.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Vincenzo.
      • #2171902 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

appspot.com is a google site. They should have their stuff sorted.

According to ssllabs the certificate is valid for another 2 months. It also shows it to be a wildcard certificate for appspot and all subdomains, so there is no specific “is-tracking-link-api-prod.appspot.com” certificate.

Can you post a screenshot of the certificate info?

cheers, Paul

• #2172767 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

I took 5 screenshots and attached the Word doc I put them in.
        Here is the link I clicked on for the messages:

The AVCA Video Tip of the Week is brought to you by our friends at The Art of Coaching Volleyball

Attachments:
      • #2172914 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

It looks like you clicked on an ad rather than the site in question, your screenshots are not for the site indicated.
        Are you using some sort of strange anti virus / browser protection app?

cheers, Paul

p.s. please save screenshots as PNG and then upload directly, word docs are a nuisance as you have to download, scan, open and delete afterwards.

• #2173212 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

OK will do on the screenshots in the future.

I clicked on the link the that I posted in my previous post.

When I hover my mouse over that link in the post, my browser status bar shows the appspot.com url.

When I click it it goes through that appspot site and redirects to the webinar so fast that you don’t even see the url appear in the address bar.

But on my friend’s computer, it stops at that url and gives the error message.

Thanks

• #2173316 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

Screenshot of target URL

Attachments:
      • #2173447 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

Looking through it some more, I see why you say it looks like the certificate screenshots are not for the site indicated.

But the certificate screenshots that say the cert is for xfinity.com are what I get when I click on the Advanced button in the browser screen that says “Your connection is not private.”

Weird.

And this only happens when I am clicking this link using her computer, which is on Comcast ISP in Colorado. (and Xfinity is part of Comcast.)

When I click it from my computer on Cox, it works fine.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Vincenzo.
        • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Vincenzo.
      • #2174172 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Maybe Comcast are dumping you on an ad site before / as part of the redirect. My guess is that if you set up a VPN to bypass comcast the link would work. Maybe an ad blocker will also work – easy to test by installing Adblock Plus in your browser.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Unable to connect to webinar

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.