News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Unable to create system restore point

Posted on WarningU2 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Unable to create system restore point

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WarningU2 4 days, 9 hours ago.

• Author

WarningU2
      AskWoody Plus

I noted on my wife’s laptop running Windows 10 (latest version) that unlike my desktop, I cannot create a system restore point.

I get 0X800700005 catch all error.  Access is denied.  Try again later.

I’ve tried:

1. stopping and starting volume shadow service
      2. turning off and on the system protection for the drive
      3. creating a new all powerful user (me specifically) with all access options enabled.

Numerous reboots and attempts but they all end again in the same error

Is creating a restore point just not possible anymore with Window 10 1909?

• #2140831 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

No, it’s possible. I do a couple, either automatic or manual, each week.

Which antivirus or other third-party security software is in play? Tried disabling it temporarily?

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• #2140891 Reply

WarningU2
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the suggestion to disable my anti virus software (F-Secure).   I tried that just now and unfortunately still the same error.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
    • #2140856 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

Please boot into Safe Mode and try making a System Restore Point.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
      Offline▸ Win7Pro • SP1 • x64 • InUse
      Online▸ Win10Pro • 1909.18363.657 • x64 • i5-9400 • RAM8GB • HDD • CanonMG3620 • Firefox74.0b5 • Windows{Defender/SystemImage/RescueDisk/Firewall}
      • #2140859 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

It has never been possible to create a System Restore Point in Safe Mode of any Windows version, because Volume Shadow Service doesn’t run there.

• #2140897 Reply

WarningU2
          AskWoody Plus

Could you start volume shadow or does it not run if you try.   Even so, it’s counter productive if I have to safeboot to create a restore point.

• #2140901 Reply

b
            AskWoody Plus

I believe it fails with “Error 1084: This service cannot be started in safe mode”

• #2141069 Reply

geekdom
            AskWoody Plus

Apologies for offering the suggestion to create a restore point in safe mode:

System Properties offer System Restore Points under normal start up:

prop02

————

System Properties do not offer System Restore Points under safe boot as there is no System Protection tab:

prop01

G{ot backup} TestBeta
            Offline▸ Win7Pro • SP1 • x64 • InUse
            Online▸ Win10Pro • 1909.18363.657 • x64 • i5-9400 • RAM8GB • HDD • CanonMG3620 • Firefox74.0b5 • Windows{Defender/SystemImage/RescueDisk/Firewall}
            • This reply was modified 4 days, 10 hours ago by  geekdom.
            Attachments:
            • #2141099 Reply

WarningU2
              AskWoody Plus

No need to apologize … thanks for trying.     All solved now setting the proper permissions on the system volume info.

• #2140929 Reply

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

Create a system image backup.
      Follow through on the instructions in this article.
      Error 0x80070005: the restore point could not be created. Access is denied

Error 0x80070005: the restore point could not be created. Access is denied

If the outcome is unsuccessful go back a 2nd time and repeat the same procedure.
      However, in step 3, select Delete all restore points for this drive.
      — If you do not want to do Delete all restore points, let us know why.
      After that select Disable system protection.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2141095 Reply

WarningU2
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks !   That worked perfectly.   I had forgotten about hidden files.     This seems like a bug to me that the administrator account would not have the ability to do this without changing the owner to everyone.    Really appreciate the help you can get here.   No matter what issue I have I know if I come to this forum I’ll get the right answer.   Worth every $ for membership.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Unable to create system restore point

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.