News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Unaswered question about Windows 7 black wallpaper patch.

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Unaswered question about Windows 7 black wallpaper patch.

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  OscarCP 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Here is a question about the Black Wallpaper Blight (BWB) MS has regaled us, Windows 7 people, at the very last time they are supposed to deliver patches to those that haven’t bought extended support. It is also a question that I have asked already a few times here and there in recent days and has been, so far, completely ignored:

Has the new patch released to take care of the BWB, the last one still available to those of us not buying extended support from MS or any other party, has this patch been applied without serious incidents, as far as it is known?

And please notice: this is not about servers, or people who install rollups (those cases have already been mentioned in replies, blogs and explanations on the new patch for those users that have servers or install rollups. No, this question is for people who install the IE 11 cumulative and the Security Only patches (besides the rest of those offered to everybody). For more information, please, have a look at my signature panel below this comment.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2140212 Reply

byteme
      AskWoody Plus

Win7 Home Premium 64-bit. Group B.

Although, if I understand correctly, Woody hasn’t given the go-ahead yet, I boldly (or foolishly) installed KB4539602 on February 8 — even though I never stretch my wallpaper — and haven’t experienced any problems.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2140242 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

only certain Win7 users who are actually experiencing the black wallpaper problems should manually download & apply the KB4539602 update.

but for those who are not experiencing the problem should simply wait a while until Woody gives the green light to install the specific patch.

Edit – I have manually downloaded, installed & tested this KB4539602 update on a Win7 machine and found no problems with it. and yes this patch can be applied to any Win7 system with or without an ESU license

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  EP.
    • #2140830 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

The single update KB4539602 or the preview rollup KB4539601 only update user32.dll file
      they don’t produce new bugs, nor they fix security issues raised after January 14, 2020

• #2141298 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks, abbody86. I take your advice also means that one has to install first the January SO and then the patch to replace the faulty dll with a good one, or none, as the case may be (KB453960 in my case.)

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Unaswered question about Windows 7 black wallpaper patch.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.