News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Unbloating a new computer

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Unbloating a new computer

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bundaburra 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

There was an article in one of the Woody’s newsletters a while back on this, but I can’t find it. I have purchased a new Dell PC and expect that it may come with bloatware. I am unsure abut the articles on the web about various utilities and would appreciate either a link to the mentioned article or recommendations for a free (I hope) application to assist my out-of-the-bx cleanup (I haven’t even plugged it in yet). I do use Malwarebytes, which reportedly may flag/quarantine PUPs along for the ride in this new machine.

Thanks.

• #2010021 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Unbloating a new computer

There is powershell script : Windows10Debloater

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

The fastest way to remove Windows 10 bloatware :

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/windows-10-debloater

• #2010467 Reply

anonymous

Very effective script but users should use this first before using other tools like O&O Software’s Shutup 10 (etc.) as the Windows 10 Debloater script can undo the previous Shutup 10 settings.

• #2010612 Reply

Bundaburra
      AskWoody Plus

You could try running Adwcleaner, also part of Malwarebytes.  It is said to find and remove adware, PUPs, junkware, and pre-installed software.  May not remove all the bloatware, but it’s worth running it occasionally.

I think the article you are looking for is in the Newsletter issue 16.17.0, dated 2019-05-13.  In there is an item by Fred Langa, “How to safely remove vendor installed junkware”.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Bundaburra.
      • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Bundaburra.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Unbloating a new computer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.