News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Unique Fax List

Posted on WSbenjones76 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        WSbenjones76
        AskWoody Lounger

Hello; hope all are safe and well at this time.

Attached my Excel file – the challenge is that I need to make a unique fax number list.

This means deleting all duplicates and leaving it with Column F – Fax numbers being a unique list.

Please help!!

Thanks in advance and take care – BJ

Moderator note: Attachment removed for privacy/security reasons. Please use an example without actual (real) names and addresses.

• #2304970 Reply
        Kirsty
        Da Boss

As you have multiple duplicates in your data columns, you would need to decide on what basis you had only one fax number. How would you decide which entry from that spreadsheet would qualify, if you wanted more than the company name and fax number?

I suggest a PivotTable report might be appropriate. It would allow you to produce a unique fax number list, which wouldn’t be dependent on Contact Names, Email Addresses etc, and would remove that information that would be inappropriate on a unique fax list.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2304985 Reply
          WSbenjones76
          AskWoody Lounger

Attached the Excel sheet – cleaned up!

Many thanks to the Moderator.

Attachments:
      • #2304982 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Do you have Access? Does Access have the ability to eliminate duplicates?
        I don’t have Access, and don’t know its functionality; but I do use Lotus Approach, which can select unique records.
        If Yes to the questions: Open the Excel file in Access, and perform the selections.

In Lotus Approach it is: use the Find/Sort Assistant, and ‘Find distinct records’. One then can export the (selected fields from the) records into another file – which could be XLS. Do note that during the selection process, the first located record is selected; additional records with that same data field are bypassed. Thus: IF you need to retain certain accompanying fields with the ‘first’, you will need first to Sort the file so as to ensure that the desired data are at the top.

• #2304998 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

I don’t have Access, but I do have Excel 2003.
        This works:
        Data > Filter > Advanced Filter > [check] Unique records only
        Uniqued

Be sure to include the column header.
        Easy clean up from here.

Attachments:
        • #2305025 Reply
          Kirsty
          Da Boss

The problem BJ is facing is that he isn’t using unique customers, as in your example. His data has multiple entries per company/customer, with the same fax number. That’s why I suggested PivotTable 🙂

• #2305035 Reply
            PaulK
            AskWoody Lounger

OK, I’m missing some comprehension. His sample data file has 15 data lines, 3 customers, and 3 Fax numbers (actually 4 since there is a [blank]). The Filtered result has 4 lines, 1 line per Fax number. From his request:

Fax numbers being a unique list.

What may be confusing the issue is that the Customer column and the Fax column are both in (‘parallel’) ascending sequence. I would think that appropriate preceding Sorts would clarify this, however, for the real data.

PS on my Reply earlier – I have not experimented with the ‘Copy to another location’. I don’t know if this would be of help for what is wanted.

• #2305063 Reply
              Kirsty
              Da Boss

That result gives a simplified functionality, but as you don’t see the several columns of names, email addresses etc. that go between the customer and fax columns in the original file, the result is less workable than a pivot table, which only gives the two column results 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Unique Fax List

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.