News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • "Unobtainable" printer drivers?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 "Unobtainable" printer drivers?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  davelr 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

davelr
      AskWoody Plus

I recently purchased a new system to replace my ageing Surface Pro 2. The Surface Pro 2 had an Epson Stylus Photo R260 attached on a USB port and was also connected through our LAN to an HP Laserjet 1200 via a TCP/IP port. I should note that all the systems in our network are running Win 10 Pro 64.

When I tried to set up the printers on my new system, however, I found that the Window print driver store no longer had the specific drivers for these printers, but had some new “universal” drivers. Unfortunately neither of these actually worked correctly. The HP universal driver merely errored out and the Epson driver blurred and overprinted text.

I’ve done some searching but have not yet found a source for the older drivers that actually work. Of course my old (and other systems) have the correct drivers.

So the help I need to ask for is:
      1) Does anyone know of a source of historical drivers beyond what Microsoft is showing, or
      2) Can anyone guide me as to how to move the correct drivers from one of my old systems to my new one?

I certainly appreciate any advice anyone might have.

• #2016153 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You can usually get HP printer drivers from the HP Support website.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2016166 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

Epson has a specific driver for you; HP does not – you’ll have to settle for the universal driver, but get the one from the HP site.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2016231 Reply

davelr
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks both. Got problem solved. Bree over on Tenforums suggested a driver backup/restore from one of my older systems. This allowed me to finally get the correct older driver for the HP even though it took some trial and error to find it.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  davelr.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: "Unobtainable" printer drivers?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.