Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Unpaid Beta Testers

Posted on MrJimPhelps Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Rants Unpaid Beta Testers

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

Reading through the various comments at AskWoody, it suddenly hit me the other day: A lot of people are doing a HUGE amount of work in order to have the privilege of using Windows 10.

How is Microsoft able to keep people as customers when they force them to do so much work for the privilege?

Here are some of my thoughts:

* Big corporations will likely stay with Windows 10 (or whatever it is called in the future), because they have so much invested in Windows, and because they can afford to pay the “protection money” that Microsoft demands for having a stable version of Windows.

* At some point (we may have already reached that point), individuals will abandon Windows for other platforms — Chromebooks, tablets, MAC, Linux.

* Small businesses will be in a quandary, because they have to have something that is reliable, that they know will work. Since small businesses don’t have a lot of money, they will probably bite the bullet and stick with Windows, at least for a while. But at some point, if Microsoft doesn’t get its act together with Windows, small businesses will begin to abandon Windows as well. Probably a lot of them will go to a Google environment, such as Chromebooks for the office and Android phones and tablets for mobile users.

I refuse to do all of the work required in order to have the privilege of using Windows 10. My family and I are moving to Xubuntu Linux. My wife has a Windows 8.1 laptop, so we have several years (till 2023) to make the transition. My wife has started to use Xubuntu; Xubuntu is about all I ever use. And I am planning on bringing my daughter up on Xubuntu, so that she doesn’t grow up thinking that Microsoft is all there is.

What are your thoughts?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #128104 Reply

Charlie
      AskWoody Lounger

I agree with you.  I myself have been getting acquainted with Linux Mint, and at the moment, have no plans of going to Win 10 after my Win 7 is no longer supported.  Even Win 7 is a bit of work to keep up to date, but nothing like what I’m reading about Win 10 which seems to be a constant work in progress.

It’s really a shame, I like Win 7 and will continue to use it for non-internet related purposes well after MS stops support.  My options are open because I don’t have a small business to run. It will be, as you say, tough for those people if MS doesn’t get its act together.  I’m a pessimist not by nature, but by experience.  So I’m not counting on MS for much, sad to say.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #129793 Reply

jescott418
        AskWoody Lounger

I have three PC’s and one desktop I went back to Windows 7 and the other two are running Windows 10. I find myself using Windows 7 PC way more even though its older. I just like what Windows 7 is, a OS and nothing more. I don’t wake up one morning and find apps installed I never asked for. I don’t have to endure the prompts to try Edge, or some other Microsoft c***. i don’t get nagged with Notifications, and setting browser defaults means setting defaults in Win 7. Yes, down the road Linux may indeed get installed in at least one PC. Especially when my Win 7 PC loses support, I don’t find myself locked into Windows for much. I probably could use a Chromebook if one was made that had good hardware, but then again. It’s another locked down OS.

• #129790 Reply

jescott418
      AskWoody Lounger

I used to beta test for Apple too and it was only a week or so ago I decided I wanted to try out IOS 11 on my iPad. Funny thing is, I can sign in to the beta program but can’t get the download. The issues is probably somewhere between my Apple ID having been in the developer program, the Appleseed program and now wanting public beta. Of course nobody at Apple knows how to fix this, and the same experiences can be had trying the Windows Insider program. If you get into a jam its days or longer to get Microsoft to react, and typically its other Insiders providing work around’s that end up helping out. I stopped trying any beta’s giving how bad some of the mainstream channel releases are. Exactly how much bugs are left to ponder I wonder sometimes? I used to be all in with beta testing when things were just mostly nagging issues that didn’t ruin your device. But these days things seem to start out very rough, and never really get smoothed out.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  jescott418.
    • #129802 Reply

BrianL
      AskWoody Lounger

You are right, MS 10 is a train wreck waiting to happen!

• #129811 Reply

Microfix
      AskWoody Lounger

W10 has been/ is, a free upgrade but, nothing nowadays is free without some sort of cost implication. How many people on this forum actually paid for W10?
      I rest my case..

I moved to Linux a few years back after extensive distro hopping and testing and I enjoy it more than ever due to the ‘set it how you want it’ and nothing changes it, I’ve got control over my PC or laptop and I like that.

Edit: You don’t need an antivirus that eats all your PC resources when you have GNU/Linux, just CHRootkit & RKHunter from the repo’s.

| 2 PC W8.1 Pro x64 | | 2 PC Linux Hybrids x64 | | 1 PC Windows XP Pro x86 (offline) |
        No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
      • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Microfix.
      • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Microfix.
      • #130596 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

@microfix:

What distro did you decide to go with, and why?

What did you learn along the way when you were doing extensive distro hopping and testing? For example, was there a distro that was a close second? Was there a distro that you decided to avoid like the plague?

The main factors I am considering are: How well does the distro run on an old, lame computer; how easy is it to get up and running, and to keep up and running; and how well supported is it in terms of software available?

Thanks.

Jim

• #130631 Reply

Microfix
          AskWoody Lounger

Well Jim, initially I was looking for an OS to run on an AO533 1.66GHz 2Gb Ram 60Gb SSD self upgraded netbook back in 2012, to take on our travels and replace W7 starter which ran like a pig (even with tweaking and surgery!).
          I needed something that would be modern, secure, have an active support forum, light on resources, run on older hardware, have a great update system in place and lastly aesthetically pleasing for the eye.

Internet research was done on choosing a distro that would be applicable to the device (most of which were dead links then or just no longer developed)
          I tried various distro’s based on XFCE and LXDE and stumbled upon one of my favourites for over a year PearOS.
          This was a tribute Linux OS based on apple iOS which eventually and mysteriously closed down (apple intervention apparently) and therefor had to start over again.

See here for the distro I chose and kept going back to upon further testing, still to this day.

This distro uses the linuxmint updater which resides in the XFCE panel for convenience and automatically checks for updates (no windows update malarky here) which is one of the strong points of this distro IMHO
          The developers have decided to use a more cutting edge technology in the update procedure, by this I mean that the newest kernels will arrive quicker than in the Linux Mint update policy but, if you don’t want that, it is easily turned down a notch for your system stability.
          Due to being an LXDE /XFCE hybrid all the best bits of various distro’s have cleverly been rolled into one by the development team.
          The distro uses the Ubuntu Repositories which are second to none in the linux community and fixes for security are relatively quick without a restart (except kernel updates)

I aquainted myself with the CLI (Terminal) commands via various online resources and the support forum then shored up the OS security via the CLI.
          Searched for alternative Linux based applications which were easily transferable to windows office/ graphics based programs with the minimum of faffing about.
          Learned to use Gimp effectively to edit/ modify the aesthetic look, icons etc (having used Corel Suites since 1999 on Windows it wasn’t too difficult)

What I learned along the way was to backup, backup and backup before altering anything (I used Timeshift but there are others) and could roll back the OS if I took it a step TOO FAR (fubar)
          I no longer use Timeshift as I’m now confident in what I want to achieve and how to get there, but, no compiling yet!

Having achieved what I set out to do, I erased our another Windows 7 Core2Duo laptop and done the same.
          It really is great to have control over our hardware and devices without looking over the shoulder for patches/updates/viruses
          I’ve taken the power back and have rejuvinated my love for computing as an enthusiast and techie once again.

With linux: you only get out of it, what you put into it.

Oh, My now second (third) PearOS being the first, choice of distro was LXLE based on LXDE and 16.04 ubuntu as it too had a good capability of running older hardware with minimal resources but,
          what let it down was, not having the automatic mintupdater.

Hope this helps

| 2 PC W8.1 Pro x64 | | 2 PC Linux Hybrids x64 | | 1 PC Windows XP Pro x86 (offline) |
            No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
          • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Microfix.
          • #130634 Reply

MrJimPhelps
            AskWoody MVP

That is very helpful information.

I went to your other similar post. I am considering trying Peppermint, because so far I can’t get my wireless scanner to work in Xubuntu (or Ubuntu, when I was using it).

Thank you for the very long and detailed, and very helpful, post.

Jim

• #130639 Reply

Microfix
              AskWoody Lounger

Ah scanners come under the ‘Sane development team’ what’s the make & model of scanner?

Edit: Have you tried doing THIS in Xubuntu?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Microfix.
            • #130842 Reply

Microfix
              AskWoody Lounger

Any success?

• #130892 Reply

MrJimPhelps
              AskWoody MVP

I tried the SANE method, but I never could get my scanner to work. I have since found a Ubuntu Linux driver on the Canon website, and I tried to install it, but it wouldn’t install, and as I recall, I needed to uninstall what I put on with SANE before running the Canon install. But I can’t figure out how to get rid of the SANE stuff.

• #130898 Reply

Microfix
      AskWoody Lounger

Try editing the backend dll.config file:

sudo gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

then insert # at the beginning of each reference to a canon device.

eg. #canoscan

for info: # is the equivalent of rem in a windows command prompt.

Then save and reboot.

This theoretically should disable canon devices within sane, allowing your chosen linux driver to take priority over sane.

If this doesn’t work just undo your changes.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #130920 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

Thank you very much for that information. It’s all coming back what I did to try to set up SANE. I’m going to do that tonight, then install the Canon driver.

I’m very optimistic.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Unpaid Beta Testers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.