News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Untraceable Windows 10 crashes

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Untraceable Windows 10 crashes

Tagged: 

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        jkpeck
        AskWoody Lounger

My pc, a Dell xps17 with 16GB and an SSD running Win 10 has been crashing (BSOD) about once a day for the last few months.  When this happens, an error code appears but disappears to quickly to read it.  I see the crash logged in the Reliability Monitor and Event Viewer,  but there is no information about the error code or cause, and I can’t find any dmp files.

It seems not to have anything to do with what I am running.  It happens even when the pc is idle – as idle as a Windows system gets.  All drivers are up to date AFAIK, and even upgrading to the latest Win 10 release did not stop this.  Windows memory diagnostics and Dell diagnostics  don’t show any problems.

It also happens sometimes that starting the system in the morning – usually awaking from hibernation – the pre-Windows startup happens, but the screens (I have two) never light up, and I  have to  force quit.  The second boot always works.  This seems  more frequent if I left the PC to go to sleep rather than explicitly hibernating.

Any ideas on how to identify the cause  of all this?

• #2305502 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

It would help us to know what version/Build of Win10 you are running. Type winver in the search bos and press Enter.

This sounds like a hardware problem to me.
        But lets eliminate some possible system problems first.

In an elevated Command prompt (right click on cmd.exe and choose “Run as Administrator), run these commands:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
        sfc /scannow

Report any errors found.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2305504 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I see the crash logged in the Reliability Monitor and Event Viewer,  but there is no information about the error code or cause, and I can’t find any dmp files.

Run Nir Sofer’s ‘AppCrashView
        or ‘WinCrashReport

• #2305548 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

It’s strange that there is no dump file.  After a crash, have you scanned your entire system (perhaps on another disk?) looking for any *.dmp files?

In addition to the nirsoft utilities mentioned, there is also their Blue Screen View, which could be worth a try.

Sometimes this can be caused by a conflict between Windows and something else, for example anti-virus.  Try temporarily disabling your anti-virus, or anything else you can think of, and see if the problem persists.  What happens if you run in Safe Mode?  If Safe Mode does not produce the error, it could indicate a driver problem.  The easiest way to get into Safe Mode is to run msconfig > Boot, select Safe boot, and allow it to restart.  When finished with Safe Mode, just reverse that.

To check your drivers, download and run Driver Easy (free version), which will give you a list of any drivers which it thinks are out of date.  DO NOT download anything from Driver Easy, but if it reports an out of date driver which is of concern, note the new version and date, then go to the manufacturer’s web site and see if it exists there for download.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 20H2

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2305691 Reply
        cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

I had one doing this last month. Every day, yet I could never reproduce the problem remotely. Crash dumps were very vague and pointed to video and nic. Those tested well and nothing worked. Disabled MBAM but still had issues. Uninstalled MBAM and no crashes since.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Untraceable Windows 10 crashes

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.