News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Unwanted Drive

Posted on rubyjim Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Unwanted Drive

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  geekdom 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

rubyjim
      AskWoody Lounger

Found an unwanted drive on my computer called dnwfcwyfzwma I deleted it but it has reappeared?

How can I get rid of it? I have looked in msconfig startup it is not there

• #1955813 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Can you give us the specs on your computer?
      What version of Windows are you running?
      Where do you see the drive? In File Explorer?
      When did this drive appear? What did you change on the computer right before it appeared.

• #1955856 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

Unwanted “drive” or unwanted folder?

• #1959602 Reply

anonymous

AMD A9-9420 Radeon R5 5Compute Cores 2C + 3G 3.00 Ghz
        RAM 4.00 GB usable
        Win 10 1903
        Before logging in the list accounts cant find in Explorer
        Last week made no changes to my computer

If I click dnwfcwyfzmma it wants to install a new version of Win10

• #1959780 Reply

geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

What you have described sounds like neither a drive nor a file folder. It sounds like an executable file.

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
          Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · RAM 8GB · Firefox: uBlock Origin - NoScript · HDD · Canon Printer · Microsoft Security Essentials · Windows: Backup - System Image - Rescue Disk - Firewall
    • #1960921 Reply

rubyjim
      AskWoody Lounger

Group G Yes it is an executable file but I can not find it on my laptop

• #1960976 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

If you cannot find it how can you click on it?

We need as much detail about the file as you provide. Location, size, date.
      You can find these things by right clicking on the file and selecting Properties.

cheers, Paul

• #1961165 Reply

rubyjim
      AskWoody Lounger

Thank you for your help.

The only place I can see dnwfcwyfzmma is on the login page click start >  switch user in the list of A/Cs is dnwfcwyfzmma if I click dnwfcwyfzmma a new version of Win 10 starts to install.
      To help to confuse Although I am running Win 10 I have installed Classic Shell that makes Win 10 Look like Win 7 😳 as I don’t like the Win10 Tiles.
      As dnwfcwfzmma can only be seen on the logon screen I can’t take a screenshot. However, took a photo with my mobile and is attached. MS Explorer can not thind this executable file mistory

Attachments:
    • #1961187 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

dnwfcwyfzwma is not a drive. It is not a file.
      dnwfcwyfzwma is a User ID for a User account on the computer.

Click on the Start button and in the Search box type “User accounts” (without the quotes).
      Choose “Remove User accounts”
      Click on only dnwfcwyfzwma and choose to remove with the option to remove the User’s data.
      Once finished, close the User Accounts window.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1961188 Reply

rubyjim
      AskWoody Lounger

Thank you to everyone. Have a brainwave logon as admin and removed the file from family and friends. Why did I not think of that before?

But the mystery remains where did it come from?

• #1961279 Reply

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Please consider running a full scan of your virus checker, to rule out any obvious evidence of malware.

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
        Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · RAM 8GB · Firefox: uBlock Origin - NoScript · HDD · Canon Printer · Microsoft Security Essentials · Windows: Backup - System Image - Rescue Disk - Firewall
        • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  geekdom.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Unwanted Drive

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.