News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Unwanted Edge auto-launch

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Unwanted Edge auto-launch

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        SappoGuapo
        AskWoody Lounger

M/S’s Edge auto-launches when my W10 computer wakes up from a sleep state.  It is very, very annoying, as Edge is not my primary use browser.  I have tried to find a solution on the internet, but so far, nothing works or cannot be done. 

I’m guessing this may be happening to a number of users.  I’m considering removing Edge, but am reluctant to do so, for reasons I can’t quite articulate.  Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kirsty
        Manager

Welcome to AskWoody @sappoguapo 🙂

Please just add to the detail, which version of Win10 are you using?

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

I remember this on 1809, but I havent seen that for a while. Do you use local account, or Microsoft account for logging to the computer?

If you use MSFT account, then this is official solution from Microsoft, so lets give it a try!
        https://support.microsoft.com/

There are also other workarounds, but please try this first.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

anonymous

I don’t think that only applies to a Microsoft account.

doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

Now I cant remember, why I thought it is only for MS Account. Thank you for correction.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PKCano
        Manager

There are Group Policy (and thus Registry) settings to prevent Edge from starting when Windows starts and running in the background.
        Also, you can go through the file associations and wherever you see Edge as the default app, change it to your default browser or other app  instead (example = .PDF).

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

You can do the same as @doriel suggested by using a REG file.

Copy/paste the following into Notepad and save it as something like Stop-Apps-Autostarting-After-Sign-in.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Accounts - Restart apps after sign in for current user - Turn OFF (default)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
        "RestartApps"=dword:00000000

Once created, double-click on the new REG file, and accept the prompts to merge the setting into the registry.

Alternatively, download and unzip the attachment: autostarting-apps

It contains 2 REG files:

Accounts – Restart apps after sign in for current user – Turn OFF (default).reg
        Accounts – Restart apps after sign in for current user – Turn ON.reg

Use the first one to turn off autostarting (and the second one if you ever want to undo the change).

Hope this helps…

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Unwanted Edge auto-launch

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.