News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Update 20H2 fails with Ox800700a1

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Update 20H2 fails with Ox800700a1

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        OpsMgr1979
        AskWoody Plus

This update has attempted to load on one of my systems 5 times since February.  Each time it fails with a Ox800700a1 error.  Now Windows update says, “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes.”  When I click on Check for Updates, no updates are suggested, and the same message about missing updates appears.  How can I get this update loaded successfully?  Most of the fixes I’ve seen online seem very complicated and dangerous in and of themselves.  How should I proceed?  Thanks!

kstephens43
        AskWoody Plus

I am on my way out, so I don’t have time to look up the number of a thread I am working HOW TO STOP WINDOWS UPDATES.  PK Cano and I are working on a thorny Windows Update problem.  Why don’t you scan through that thread and see what we have done.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

There are lot of people having various problems with version 20H2 update.

You can check here for example – 20H2 refuses to install

Or alternatively here – How to stop Windows updates

Ox800700a1 seems like driver error. First to check would be, if you have CONEXANT audio drivers, which are causing problems with WU. Yo ucan try to remove the device from device manager and try to update then. It should use correct drivers during the update.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

After much ado and new drivers etc., I finally called MS Tech Support. They advised to just install the click on the link they provided to the May 2021 update. I did that. As soon as it finished updating, it turned around and said “Undoing installed changes” and I was back to square one. I just did the whole install procedure over again, and this time it worked. It is a little weird in that what seems to be installed on the system now is 20H2, not 2021. Also, it lost all my update history before this install. However, it all works now, so I guess all is well.

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

what seems to be installed on the system now is 20H2, not 2021.

Versions are marked as “ready for deployment” after some betatesting is done. Thats why you get 20H2. If you are not part od “insider” or “dev” channel, you get only “ready for deployment version”.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

grahamperrin
        AskWoody Lounger

… lost all my update history …

If I recall correctly, it’s normal for most such history to disappear, in the context of (loosely speaking) historic stuff moving to windows.old

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Update 20H2 fails with Ox800700a1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.