News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Update Error 0xc1900101-0x30018

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 20H2 – October 2020 Update Update Error 0xc1900101-0x30018

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        randavis
        AskWoody Plus

Wife’s machine. Was on 1903. Update would error out and revert back to 1903 when trying to go to 1909. I looked around the internet for solutions. I ran chkdsk and it found and repaired some files. The machine updated to 1909.

I then tried to update to 2004, but it errored out with the 0xc1900101-0x30018 error. That was using Windows Update. After the machine rebooted, Windows Update showed 20H2 was available. I ran that and got the same error again. Searching the internet, I found that that error was usually due to corrupt drivers. Device manager didn’t show any problems. During my search, I found instructions saying to run a dism command with the restorehealth switch. I did that and tried Windows Update again and got the same error.

Some people recommended a repair install using the Windows Upgrade Assistant. That produced the same error code as Windows Update gave.

I really don’t want to do a clean install, as there are quite a few tweaks to the gui and my wife isn’t computer savy. She can use one for work and surf the web and play a few simple games, but when something changes, she is in left field.

I would appreciate any help that you guys can give.

Thanks

Randall Davis

Zig
        AskWoody Plus

Randall,

In a similar situation with the 2004 upgrade, I was forced to update ALL drivers on a barely 2 year old machine. – this includes updating BIOS/UEFI and chipset drivers.

Just do it.

Zig

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Just do it.

After making an image backup to an external disk. 🙂

cheers, Paul

PKCano
        Manager

In addition t updating drivers, look in Device Manager in the Control Panel. Do you have and Conexant drivers (Audio or otherwise)? Conexant drivers can cause the upgrade to 2004/20H2 to fail.

Also, if you are using any third-party anti-virus/malware programs, you could try turning them off or temporarily uninstalling them before upgrading.

randavis
        AskWoody Plus

I did update the bios to the latest version for the motherboard. It uses onboard Realtec sound and Intel onboard networking. Both say they are on the latest versions when trying to update them in Device Manager. It is using windows defender anti-virus and it is up to date.

Thanks for the replies.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Update Error 0xc1900101-0x30018

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.