News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Update failure

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Win7 beyond End-of-life Update failure

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        CynicalSnail
        AskWoody Plus

Since December I have been unable to update the Monthly Security Rollup.  My ESU is good, and verified.  SCANNOW finds no problem, likewise CHKDSK.

I have been through several reset procedures, including this one in full:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources#reset-windows-update-components-manually

No joy:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3133977) : Failed  (8004402F)

2021-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB5000841): Failed (800F0826)

Event ID 20 is all that I get, after numerous reboots: the initial report is success (!), but on reboot the installation gets to 98% and reverts.

Has anyone any idea what could be wrong, how to fix it, or even identify the problem?

Thanks,

BWD

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3133977) : Failed (8004402F)

I think that the error code actually is 8024402F. This code means:

WU_E_PT_ECP_SUCCEEDED_WITH_ERRORS External cab file processing completed with some errors.

You probably got the above error because Bitlocker is not supported in your version of Windows 7. Please check your installed updates to see if KB3133977 actually is installed.

2021-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB5000841): Failed (800F0826)

This error code means:

CBS_E_PENDING_VICTIM Package failed to install because another pended package failed.

Please review the KB5000841 article and make sure that you have installed all of the prerequisites which are listed in the article.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/march-9-2021-kb5000841-monthly-rollup-3a2cced1-f436-40c3-a8a1-645f86759088

Also see this MS article:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/obtaining-extended-security-updates-for-eligible-windows-devices/ba-p/1167091

1 user thanked author for this post.
        CynicalSnail
        AskWoody Plus

TFTR

I copied the error codes as-is, not retyped.

Bitlocker service is present and on Manual.

re: KB5000841 : KB4490628, KB4474419, KB4538483 are in place, but KB4575903 appears not to be – it was never offered in WU – now installed.  KB4592510 was also in place (Jan 16); attempted reinstallation.

re: article: noted.  Nothing extra there I think for action.

I shall now find out whether KB4575903 was the problem … using the standalone installer it appears to have succeeded (and according to Event Viewer, OK) – no reboot required.

The question is why that critical item was not installed?

(KB3133977 seems not to be relevant, given a bit more searching, so am giving up on  trying that one for now, at least.)

Thanks indeed for helping resolve that.

CynicalSnail
        AskWoody Plus

er … not resolved.

<span style=”font-family: Times New Roman, Times, serif;”>Despite Event Viewer showing
        “Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Windows (KB5000841)”
        WU continues to show it as available 18 h later, the ‘installed updates’ list does not show it, despite rebooting over night anyway.  I shall try again from WU (rather than the standalone installer) and see what happens.  This is </span><span style=”font-family: Times New Roman, Times, serif;”>not looking good.
        </span>

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

I would dump Microsoft’s ESU (~$200 for 2 years, ~$400 for 3 years) and go for 0Patch Pro $29 per year. I did this for my brother’s Windows 7.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Reliable?

Not only reliable but 0Patch Pro will install security patches for other software installed on your W7. In Quite a few instances 0Patch has patched 0-day bugs way before Microsoft did.

Remotely Exploitable 0day in Internet Explorer Gets a Free Micropatch

This issue has been fixed by March 2021 Windows Updates. 0patch users had this critical issue, now assigned CVE-2021-26411, patched since February 17, full 20 days before an official patch became available. Since the official fix is available, this micropatch is no longer FREE and requires a PRO license.]

• This reply was modified 5 days, 19 hours ago by Alex5723.
        • This reply was modified 5 days, 19 hours ago by Alex5723.
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

p.s No telemetry in 0Pach patches.

CynicalSnail
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks.  It is not clear though that it will solve the immediate problem – the cause of which is unfathomable.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

WU continues to show it as available 18 h later

WU seems to take an average of 1 day to update, so you could be waiting 3. Use WuMgr to check as it updates when you hit the button.

cheers, Paul

p.s. please remove HTML tags from your posts when you paste. Click on the Text tab at the top of the reply to see the tags in full

CynicalSnail
        AskWoody Plus

WU showed the item returning in fairly short order (it has just done so again in a couple of hours).

Because it was showing there last night, I used WU to install KB5000841 – again.  Again, fail after reaching 98% on the reboot ‘configuring’.  Event log shows 7 such fails (as it does for each previous attempt by that route)!

The prequisites have been checked, the drive has been checked – how do I identify the problem?

(Tags: sorry about that, I only realized they were there when I came back, and then the edit option disappeared.)

CynicalSnail
        AskWoody Plus

Solved.  Error 0X8004402f is due to a soft temp file target:

https://superuser.com/questions/891974/how-to-troubleshoot-failed-windows-updates-we-couldnt-complete-the-updates  (see the answer)

since I am using a ramdisk for all temp files that I can direct there (and have been for a long time – nigh on 6 years!).

I used the standalone installer for KB5000841 having reset the environment variables TEMP and TMP, and while 2 reboots were automatically required (!), no further fails were logged, and WU “Installed Updates” shows it, having promptly disappeared from the offered queue.

This looks like sloppy programming to me for it to emerge for this one update for me in a very long time.

The solution is very simple, especially in the face of the effort required to reset WU in all its diversity.  It is not stated to be a prerequisite that I could see.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks.  It is not clear though that it will solve the immediate problem – the cause of which is unfathomable.

0Patch doesn’t install Microsoft’s KBxxxxxx but updates only security bugs with microcode fixes.
        So, no failed Microsoft updates.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Update failure

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.