News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Update MS Acct Password with 2FA turned on

Posted on dmt_3904 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Update MS Acct Password with 2FA turned on

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        dmt_3904
        AskWoody Plus

I want to update my MS acct password.  I recently turned on 2FA, but had been using the Authenticator for a while.  The last time I updated my password, I did not have 2FA turned on & it worked ok.  I don’t want to have problems or lose access to my account!  I also am concerned about updating the password on my IOS devices – in the past, I could not explicitly update it, as there is no way to go in and say, “Update Password”, but eventually, usually, it figures out the pw has changed & asks me to re-enter credentials. I will follow the instructions from MS website with 2FA and general pw update instructions, below.

Any recommendations or suggestions on how to ensure this goes smoothly?  I may not have any trouble, but I have had issues in the past and just can’t trust MS (or Apple for that matter)!! thanks.

To reset your password, follow the steps in How to reset your Microsoft account password. Instead of receiving one security code to verify your identity, though, you’ll receive two.

You can reset your Microsoft account password by following these steps. Sign into your Microsoft account dashboard using your email address, phone number, or Skype ID and your existing password. Select Security from the navigation across the top of the Account home page. On the Security basics page, select Change my password.If you have security info on your account, you’ll see the Verify your identity form with a partial view of the phone number or email address you chose for account verification. Select the one where you want to receive your code and enter the requested verification information. When you’re done, select Send code. Enter the code you received and select Verify. On the Change your password page, enter your existing password and then add your new password. When you’re finished, select Save.

Kirsty
        Manager

Which version of Win10 are you running?

dmt_3904
        AskWoody Plus

So I’ve been thinking about my decision to update MS password (and others).  I am using a PW manager and they are as random, long and strong as possible, though some apps limit characters & length (wish they would fix that + I also wish we could use non-email id’s for all account logons!)  I have been seeing attempts on my MS account – not super frequent, but a few authenticator requests – not from me and a few automatic syncs from other countries, and it’s very upsetting, so I thought, I’ll change my PW, heck I’ll update them all!  But, like I said my MS PW is strong and was changed about a year ago.  I think the conventional wisdom now says you should not be updating your passwords frequently, unless there is a known breach.

So now I am thinking I need to monitor for data breaches and ensure I know when an account has been breached.  I monitor MS account logons (& have had no successful logons except me). I have a ID theft service, but they are late in notifications on breaches.  I check the forum here.  I’ve checked “Have  I been Pwned” (Yes!) – but some of those breaches I don’t even understand (like Verifications.io).  But my passwords have been updated since all of the known breaches.

I’m looking for feedback:  Do you change your passwords frequently? Do you keep up on data breaches & hacks??? If so, how? I could do internet searches – but I think there are some sites that are best to check – I don’t know which ones.  thanks.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I never change passwords unless forced by someone else / advised because of breach. Never had an issue.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

I also wish we could use non-email id’s for all account logons!

dmt – you are so right about the risks in using eMail as a log-in identity.  How many remember when we used our Social Security number to log-in?  At least we’ve moved on from there.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

dmt_3904
          AskWoody Plus

Oh my gosh, yes!! I’d forgotten about that and how bad it was. But, it was a ‘simpler’ time (if that’s a word) when you COULD use your SSN for an id (though short-lived), sheesh!! Hard to imagine now.

This is going to move quickly into the rant forum, but one more comment – that we are like sheep thrown to the wolves. There is no protection for us (can we at least try to do what Europe is doing?), in privacy and breaches, hacks – there are no consequences for the breaches which continue at an alarming rate.  Not that it would stop all the hacks and breaches, but at least entities could be held accountable for all their failures:  putting out unsecure databases (access w/no password!!!???), not updating software, not following warnings, not training employees, on and on on……..ok rant over, for now.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Update MS Acct Password with 2FA turned on

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.