News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • UPdate offered A-Volute – SoftwareComponent – 1.8.1.0

Posted on JimmyLawson Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update UPdate offered A-Volute – SoftwareComponent – 1.8.1.0

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        JimmyLawson
        AskWoody Plus

What is this offered update on June 3rd 2020 called A-Volute – SoftwareComponent – 1.8.1.0. Should I let this install or not?

• #2269040 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

A-Volute

From Microsoft®Update Catalog

a-v

Attachments:
      • #2269086 Reply
        anonymous

I am a recent poster on AW, see my post 2266191 on this board, and the other comments on that thread. That time last week, it seemed like the bad Nahimic stuff was pretty largely unknown. Now, my net search just now on:

https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=A%2DVolute

brings up a lot of info on the bad things M$ through this Nahimic stuff does to your PC. A search of the M$ Update Catalog for just a-volute shows a ton of driver updates they have been offering to the suckers….erm, I mean “valued customers” — going back to mid-2017. As with so much of M$ stuff, it looks like you submit to it, at your peril. (Oh, and by the way, my Linux Mint Cinnamon dual boot still rolls right along, with sound profusely!) Cheers!

• #2269228 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

The update is a 3rd party driver. It’s not reasonable to blame MS for problems this driver causes.

It does explain why we don’t recommend allowing Windows Update to update drivers.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2269147 Reply
        anonymous

If everything for your audio works now, then do not install the driver update!

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: UPdate offered A-Volute – SoftwareComponent – 1.8.1.0

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.