News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Update to 2004

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Cthru
        AskWoody Plus

I just restored a 2017 Dell laptop, to factory spec, i.e., v 1511. I want to update to 2004 now but can’t find the newsletter that details the procedure. Help, please?

Thanks.

• #2313067 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP
      • #2313114 Reply
        Cthru
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you, Paul. I tried to figure out what I could from that thread, but to pretty well overwhelmed, and I am not comfortable making changes to the registry, so I guess it;s the slow boat for me, unless, once 1903 finishes downloading and installing, and I check the machine’s response to that in the Dell support assist tool (driver updates, etc.), Windows then shows me a place to select v 2004, which I don’t see now. I should have mentioned that I’m using Home on this machine.

Thanks again.

• #2313130 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You should have waited and gone straight to 2004. 🙂

See this thread for instructions for downloading the 2004 ISO.

.Bat file download any Windows 10 version ISO from Microsoft

cheers, Paul

• #2313191 Reply
        Cthru
        AskWoody Plus

Paul, thanks again. My original post was insufficiently descriptive. Requesting your (and others’) patience, a little more here and a further question.

The reason I ended up going the route I did — this not being my computer, although mine is an recent new XPS PC — was to maintain the Dell tools and however else they setup their machines, with an eye toward a  future extended warranty as well as use of Dell’s Support Assist tool, which I have found very helpful. I had downloaded a copy of the 2004 ISO adn then changed my mind.

So, at this point, the machine has updated to v 1909. It is telling me it’s up-to-date. I had thougt it would automatically prompt me to go the next step and update to v 2004. Is that what it will do, perhaps tomorrow, or is there something else for me to do?

I am, as always, grateful for all the help I receive here.

• #2313194 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

1909 doesn’t reach EOL until May 2021. It has less problems than 2004. I would recommend waiting a couple of months before upgrading.

But if you are determined to upgrade to 2004, here are some options:

If it’s Win10 Home, you can use TargetReleaseVersion to upgrade to 2004. The instructions are in Section 2 of AKB2000016 Guide for Windows Update Settings for Win10.

If it is Win10 Pro, you have two options covered in Sections 3-4 of AKB2000016.
          1. You can use Feature deferral. If you set Feature deferral at 150 days (see Section 4) you should be offered 2004 through Windows Update.
          2. You can set TargetReleaseVersion = 2004 using Group Policy (see Section 3) and you should be offered 2004 through Windows Update.

If you have any questions, please ask.

• #2313208 Reply
        Cthru
        AskWoody Plus

Well, in that case, I’ll leave it at 1909. Suits me just fine. Gracie!

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Update to 2004

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.