News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Update to 2004

Posted on WSmmi16 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        WSmmi16
        AskWoody Lounger

Yesterday my Windows 10 laptop was ‘automatically’ updated to Windows 2004.

In total, the update took about 3 hours or more.

Is this length of time normal when updating from 1909 to 2004? Seems excessive to me.

I still have a Desktop running 1909 and it has been selected to ‘automatically’ update to 2004.

PKCano
        Manager

That amount of time is not unusual.
        It will depend on many factors: download bandwidth, the speed of your computer, the amout of hard drive space you have (for example).

mi2bobs
          AskWoody Plus

Does “setting in Group Policy under Windows Update to not include drivers in Windows Update” also apply when doing a Feature Update?

PKCano
            Manager

I don’t think it is tied to either Quality or Feature updates.
            I think it is a separate rule for Windows Update.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

what kind of desktop PC & laptop PC are you using, WSmmi16?

the 2004 feature update may take longer if any of them use a standard HDD than a modern SSD.
        speed of the CPU, amount of RAM (along with the internet bandwidth) may also affect the installation time

WSduanehall
        AskWoody Plus

2 days ago my computer updated to 2004, and, during the update, it ‘updated’ several drivers, including a critical one I have for my Microchip development system’s RealICE.  Something also happened so that the driver switcher application that actually makes the driver switchover (if you use Microchip’s IDE, MPLAB, you’ll know what I’m talking about) is blocked from running.  The only way I could get the correct (custom) driver back was to drill down to the ‘have disk’ option through Device Manager’s driver update.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a more elegant solution than manually changing the driver?  I’m back up and running now, but I lost nearly a day’s work compliments of this ‘update’.

PKCano
          Manager

If you have the Pro Edition, there is a setting in Group Policy under Windows Update to not include drivers in Windows Update.

alexcris
            AskWoody Plus

Hi Susan,

I have the Pro version but I can’t find the setting in Group Policy under Windows Update to not include drivers.  Can you direct me there?

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Update to 2004

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.