News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Update to New Edge Now or Wait for Windows 10 Version 2004

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Internet Explorer and Edge Update to New Edge Now or Wait for Windows 10 Version 2004

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        280park
        AskWoody Plus

My computer is running Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.1256 and old Edge. Some websites that I want to visit indicate they are are not fully functional with old Edge. One website will not display at all.

1. Will upgrading to Windows 10 version 2004 automatically install the chromium version of Edge?

2. Should I install chromium Edge before or after upgrading to Windows 10 version 2004?

3. If Windows 10 version 2004 does not automatically install chromium Edge what is the best way to get it?

PKCano
        Manager

ChrEdge will eventually be installed as part of Win10 if you do not install it yourself.

If you download ChrEdge from the MS website and install it yourself, it is supposed to be uninstallable if you decide to do so.
        If you wait and install ChrEdge through Windows Update, it will not be uninstallable without going through drastic measures.

Your choice.

4 users thanked author for this post.
        280park
        AskWoody Plus

ChrEdge will eventually be installed as part of Win10 if you do not install it yourself.

Is this true even if I never update Windows 10 to version 2004? (In actuality I plan to update to version 2004 once we get the AskWoody O. K.)

PKCano
          Manager

I’m not certain they are forcing older versions (if you have the Registry setting or have used the MS “block ChrEdge” script). But your Win10 will be EOL in May 2021 if you do not update by then.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            280park
            AskWoody Plus

Re: Getting ChrEdge through Windows Update

I am still a little confused about how Windows Update will deliver ChrEdge to Windows 10. Yesterday I upgraded my Windows 10 Pro 1909 laptop to 2004. Everything seems to working fine, but I thought, apparently incorrectly, that as part of that installation process Windows Update would install ChrEdge. There is no indication that ChrEdge has been installed.

When and how will Windows Update install ChrEdge? Will ChrEdge be installed in a future monthly quality update, a future feature update to 20H2, or in some other way?

Thanks.

Alex5723
              AskWoody Plus

Look at Apps & Features for ChrEdge (new icon)

280park
                AskWoody Plus

Under Apps & Features there is a Microsoft Edge icon but it is the legacy Edge icon.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Are you sure the issue is with Edge? Have you tried another browser?
        Have you tried changing the “user agent
        Fixing CBS via user agent, #2319240.

cheers, Paul

280park
        AskWoody Plus

I decided not to wait for Windows Update to install ChrEdge and instead I downloaded it from Microsoft’s website. Under Settings>Apps & features>Default apps>Web browser the options are ChrEdge, legacy Edge, Internet Explorer, and “look for an app in the Microsoft store”.

ChrEdge seems to working fine and I can now view the websites that would not display using legacy Edge.

Thanks to all.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Update to New Edge Now or Wait for Windows 10 Version 2004

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.