News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Update to Windows 10 1903 successful

Posted on marklang Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Update to Windows 10 1903 successful

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  marklang 1 month ago.

• Author

marklang
      AskWoody Plus

Last weekend I started having problems with Windows networking.  Most of the time my computer could not find my network drives.   After several hours working with Dell Pro Support (which is really good), we could find no solution.   They recommended I execute the feature update to 1903 to essentially restore a clean Windows system.  I was not really ready to do this, but it seemed the most reasonable option, so I used Windows Update Assistant website to make the upgrade.   Since patch Tuesday was the next day (this was Monday), I made the update on Monday evening hoping to avoid whatever patch problems might happen with August patches.  (That was a good decision based on what has happened.)  Fortunately, the update completed successfully.   I got a message that Logitech Options driver (for mouse and keyboard) had a problem, and there was a new version.   I downloaded and installed that new driver.   I have seen no problems to date.

I did notice that the Windows Update delay options seem to be different.   I was using Group Policy to delay feature updates for 365 days and quality updates for 30 days.  After the update, those were carried forward.   However, the traditional place where one could select those options from settings advanced seems to only allow  a maximum delay now of 30 days even for feature updates.   In fact, when I went into group policies the options I had found in 1803 now limited the feature delay to 30 days.   I found the old options in Group Policy under a separate folder labeled “Windows Update for Business.”   It appears that Microsoft is trying to limit our ability to control timing of updates even from pro accounts, or at least make it very hard to find options we need.

Based on what I am seeing on this forum, I think I would suggest that business users wait for the feature upgrade to 1903 if you can.   Nevertheless, it seems like, if one is careful to delay windows updates, 1903 may be acceptable now.  I note that 1903 is the May 2019 update, and it is now mid-August.   One would think that by now a Microsoft feature upgrade this old would be something I would have been happy to install.

By the way, I am a long time Windows Secrets reader (lifetime membership).  It is so great to see the quality publication and forum back just as good or better than it was!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Update to Windows 10 1903 successful

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.