News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Updated … not!

Posted on WSHans L Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

WSHans L
      AskWoody Lounger

I just updated from 1809 (I will not miss it) to 1903. It took a loooong time. The only problem is that I still have 1809.

I have a few corrupt system files, as per sfc /scannow, that cannot be repaired by sfc. They may be the culprits, but I do not know.

What could be the problem?

Hans L

• #1803687 Reply

anonymous

Not knowing anything about the computer or the process you are using to log-in, my guess would concern a choice made to dual-boot Win10 Version 1809 and Win10 Version 1903.  If you press the Start button and R at the same time and type winver what do you get?  If you right-click the Start button and click System what do you get?

Did you have 2 hard drives plugged in at the same time?

• #1803871 Reply

anonymous

Sounds like you had an error, and the upgrade was terminated.

Use the Update Assistant to see if it finds any issues.

• #1803967 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Not knowing anything about the computer or the process you are using to log-in, my guess would concern a choice made to dual-boot Win10 Version 1809 and Win10 Version 1903.  If you press the Start button and R at the same time and type winver what do you get?  If you right-click the Start button and click System what do you get?

Did you have 2 hard drives plugged in at the same time?

I actually posted this but mysteriously I had been logged out without notice before I hit Submit, has been doing it to me somewhat frequently.

Sounds like the Version 1903 didn’t actually install.  I’ve never been offered it so use the MCT/Media Creation Tool that takes me to the Windows Update Catalog, or maybe it’s Microsoft Update Catalog to get what is needed.  Have had no problem doing that except with machines with only 32GB drives.

Are FoxPro and Roxio the latest versions?

An issue with Registry entries is there tends to be many concerning the same subjects scattered through the Registry.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

• #1804089 Reply

anonymous

When I click any of these menu items in FoxPro …

Class browser, Component gallery, Object Browser, Task list, Code References or Coverage Profiler …, I get

Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3     Please wait while WINDOWS configures Roxio Easy VHS  to DVD 3   and then

Error 2718 Missing package name for product code ‘(DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3)’.

When I search on the product code in registry, I get these hits:

Match: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}\

Found at: In Value Name

Registry Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders, “C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}\”

———————————————————

Match: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}\1033.mst

Found at: In Value Data

Registry Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\BFB363EDC2CD1B54A8FC97D3E8AC653A, “Transforms”

———————————————————

Match: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}\ARPPRODUCTICON.exe

Registry Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\BFB363EDC2CD1B54A8FC97D3E8AC653A, “ProductIcon”

———————————————————

Match: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}

Found at: In Key Name

Registry Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}

———————————————————

Match: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\FLEXnet\Connect\db\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}.ini

Registry Path: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\FLEXnet\Connect\db\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}.ini

———————————————————

Match: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\FLEXnet\Connect\db\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}.ini

Registry Path: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\FLEXnet\Connect\db\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}.ini

———————————————————

Match: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-191065267-1885433204-1773731427-1000\Software\FLEXnet\Connect\db\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}.ini

Registry Path: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-191065267-1885433204-1773731427-1000\Software\FLEXnet\Connect\db\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}.ini

———————————————————

Match: MsiExec.exe /I{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}

Registry Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\BFB363EDC2CD1B54A8FC97D3E8AC653A\InstallProperties, “ModifyPath”

———————————————————

Registry Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\BFB363EDC2CD1B54A8FC97D3E8AC653A\InstallProperties, “UninstallString”

———————————————————

Registry Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}, “ModifyPath”

———————————————————

Registry Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{DE363BFB-DC2C-45B1-8ACF-793D8ECA56A3}, “UninstallString”

Do they tell you anything?

Note. Latest FoxPro, but Roxio, no idea (I have deleted everything Roxio, otr so I thought).

Hans L

• #1807422 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I have a few corrupt system files, as per sfc /scannow

You should try DISM to repair your system, then re-update.

Open a Command Prompt as Administrator.
      Type:
      DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

cheers, Paul

• #1807810 Reply

doriel
      AskWoody Lounger

I would try to install it different way. You didnt say what did you done. For example by MediaCreationTool?

Also, if this is the only error in log file, it seems like this should be blocking it. Did you try to uninstall Roxio Easy VHS to DVD and then install update? This shoudlnt take more than week to upgrade 🙂

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
      --- Thomas A. Edison

• #1810301 Reply

WSHans L
      AskWoody Lounger

I have a few corrupt system files, as per sfc /scannow

You should try DISM to repair your system, then re-update.

Open a Command Prompt as Administrator.
      Type:
      DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

cheers, Paul

I have run it many times the last few days, and it reports no problems. I have, just in case, also repaired, but no change.

Thanks, anyway.

Hans L

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by
         WSHans L.
    • #1810383 Reply

WSHans L
      AskWoody Lounger

I would try to install it different way. You didnt say what did you done. For example by MediaCreationTool?

Also, if this is the only error in log file, it seems like this should be blocking it. Did you try to uninstall Roxio Easy VHS to DVD and then install update? This shoudlnt take more than week to upgrade 🙂

Doriel, thanks! No, I did not install the way you suggest, but I will now.

I deleted everything Roxie in registry, and that was probably a mistake, which created the problems I have. So, my plan is:

Install 903, see if that replaces the corrupt files. If not, I might reinstall Roxie so that I can uninstall it correctly. I might also uninstall and reinstall Visual FoxPro, which, somehow, got entangled with Roxie. (The funny thing is that neither “Roxie” nor “Easy VHS …” show up when I use a variety of ways to search for it. Still, it seems to be linked to Windows Installer – Is there anyway to replace just the Installer?)

Hans L

• #1810939 Reply

WSHans L
      AskWoody Lounger

I tried Windows Update Assistant, and no update, in spite of 1 hour of chugging.

Now, I am ready to try Media Creation Tool, but first, I need to have assurance that it does not delete my installed applications. I have MCT1903 downloaded. However, I know they talk about installing on an existng computer or on a new computer. I have also seen other stuff, like creating an ISO file.

Would you kindly let me know, at least in essence, which way I should go after clicking on MediaCreatingTool1903.exe.

Thank you!!!

Hans L

• #1811103 Reply

WSHans L
      AskWoody Lounger

I tried MediaCreatingTool1903.exe and created a USB drive, put it in, run the Setup file, and got a message that some hardware was not up to snuff for 1903. What hardware … no, that would be too much to ask for. I suspect the USB drive used to install (that would make MS sense.)

I think I understand that there is a way to replace Windows OS without erasing installed apps. Perhaps if I do that, replacing 1809 with 1809, it will work, and the corrupt files will be replaced? And reference to how to do that?

In the log file, there are a lot of failures in regard to “package” (“Failed to create open package.” and “Failed to OpenPackage using worker session.”

Seems, in essence, I have an installation corruption in my existing OS that prevents anything OS from installing (other apps have installed).

I am at the end of my rope! Help!!!

Hans L

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by
         WSHans L.
      • #1811112 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

v1903 has a problem with installation if there is any SD/USB device plugged in during installation. That is one of the known issues.
        Use the MCT to create an ISO.
        If your PC has a DVD drive, burn the ISO onto a DVD, insert the DVD and run setup.exe from within the existing Windows installation.
        I think you can also mount the ISO in the existing installation and run setup from there (I just personally prefer running it from an external source).

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1812055 Reply

WSHans L
      AskWoody Lounger

PKCano, I will do just that. Thank you!

Hans L

• #1812500 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Another choice I have used is to copy the x86 or x64 Folder from the downloaded media to a Folder on the internal drive [Downloads?] and double-click the setup.exe within it.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

• #1812743 Reply

anonymous

Everyone, I just used ISO and installed 1903 and after 2 hours of labor, got the message that the install failed bla bla bla.

While I need Windows for a few programs, and will therefore do a clean reinstall and go through the arduous work of reinstalling all my apps, I will also, first, investigate which Linux to choose, and then, it will be Linux for me. Forget this MS OS that, after decades, is not able to pinpoint an error and offer a solution.

Thank you all for your valiant effort to help me. I really appreciate it.

Edit: Removed personal identity information.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Updated … not!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.