News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Updates and metered connection

Posted on Terring Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Updates and metered connection

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

PKCano 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Terring
      AskWoody Lounger

I can’t stand this anymore. I have set my connection as metered, I’ve also set to not automatically download the updates on metered connection, and it still downloads the updates! Metered connection or not, it’s still the same. No protection, no control on when I want to update, nothing. And right now I can’t afford getting Pro. The only way to prevent updating is by deactivating the wuauserv at the Service panel, and I have to deactivate it every day. Is there a better way to protect myself, since setting my connection to metered is useless?

My English is far from perfect and I want to improve it. If you find any mistakes (especially the grammar ones), feel free to correct me.

• #344942 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

whshowhide.diagcab, downloadable from MS, allows you  to hide updates.

Otherwise, you need to use third-party update blockers lide WUMgr or O&O Shutup.

• #344995 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

My W10 machine pops up warnings that it can’t download updates due to the metered connection. I can choose to download them anyway, but it’s manual each time.

cheers, Paul

• #345470 Reply

Terring
      AskWoody Lounger

whshowhide.diagcab, downloadable from MS, allows you to hide updates. Otherwise, you need to use third-party update blockers lide WUMgr or O&O Shutup.

How do I use the whshowhide.diagcab? Just select the update and hide it? Is there something else I need to know?

My English is far from perfect and I want to improve it. If you find any mistakes (especially the grammar ones), feel free to correct me.

• #345474 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

When it opens, click “Advanced,” uncheck make corrections automatically. Choose “Hide Updates.”
        Be sure you use AKB2000013 to be sure you clear out the Windows Update queue before you open Windows Update in the Settings app.
        Good luck.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Updates and metered connection

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.