News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Updates cause System Failure and Automatic Restart

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Updates cause System Failure and Automatic Restart

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

ErnieG
      AskWoody Plus

After one of the October KB updates I have had major issues with reboots at times within 30 seconds of a restart. Dispite my setting the properties using Settings|System|About|System info|Control Panel> All Control Panel Items> System| Advanced system settings|System Properties| Startup and Recovery |Settings| System Failure and unchecking Automatically restart in Windows plus in my ASUS BIOS Settings I continue to get automatic restarts and am unable to find any errors in the event manager.

I wiped out my SSD and completely reinstalled 1903 from scratch, system ran well for three weeks and when my delay updates ran out, I forgot to reset it so I got two cumulative updates. I am now back to random shutdowns and restarts despite my setting the advanced setting to not automatically restart in Windows and in my UFIE.

Any thought on what could be causing this??

• #2015183 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

What updates were installed?
      What is the model, and specs of your computer.
      What Anti-virus are you running?

• #2015728 Reply

ErnieG
      AskWoody Plus

It started with the KB4522016 update and then the Oct cumulative update. It is a grey box I7-6700K, 16GB Ram, 512 SSD ,Win 10 Pro, use MS  Defender. Unfortunately since I’m in the Insider Program I can’t get an Update history.

Since I cannot get any message in the event viewer with an error, I am coming to the belief that it may be a Power supply or MB hardware problem. At our consultants group monthly lunch the consensus was a hardware problem, probably a power supply.

I have been using Windows since I stated beta testing Win 3.0 and have never had a problem like this!!

Ernie

• #2015745 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Most PCs have a utility partition that contains hardware testing software and is accessable on bootup from an F-key. You should see if this is available on your computer (see the User Manual, usually available on the PC mfg’s website) and run the diagnostics. Or it may be accessable from you Rescue Media you made when the PC was new. Otherwise, there is other bootable  h/w testing s/w (such as memcheck, spinright, or equivalents) if you think the problem is h/w related.

We do not usually follow the Insider Builds here. But it may be that you need to download the Insider ISO (or whatever ISO you used) and reinstall the OS. Perhaps athe current Build(s) do not have the same problem – they change so frequently. Be sure you report the problem on the FeedbackHub.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Updates cause System Failure and Automatic Restart

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.