News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Updates for MacOS Catalina, iOS, and iPadOS

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Updates for MacOS Catalina, iOS, and iPadOS

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Apple released a Supplemental Update for macOS Catalina, resolving a few issues. It isn’t an official 10.15.1 update yet. For those who have already upgraded to macOS Catalina, this would be good to install, although I still recommend waiting to upgrade to Catalina.

Apple released iOS 13.1.3 and iPadOS 13.1.3 with a range of bug fixes. For those on iOS or iPadOS 13, this is a good update to install.

The new Apple TV app also released for the Roku, plus the Transporter app for developers to submit apps to the Mac App Store and products to iTunes Connect is now available on the Mac App Store.

Lastly, here’s a how-to on copy and pasting text in iOS and iPadOS 13.

Nathan Parker

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1983510 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Nathan: Thanks for the notice.

Before I decide anything final about installing (or not) Catalina in my home Mac, I’ll first may wait until, at NASA, the IT Security people gives the OK for Catalina, making it available to install in NASA’s Macs. That may take several months, judging from past experience. For example, the switch from High Sierra to Mojave took place just two months ago. I updated my home Mac before that, because all reports I had seen convinced me that it was OK to do it.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1984900 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I just sacrificed my older iMac – upgraded it to Catalina this afternoon.
      Had to upgrade my AV (TrendMicro) – no biggie, happens every upgrade.
      Had to upgrade the Kindle app – took care of itself pretty much, just log in Amazon.
      Firefox, Waterfox, Thunderbird, Libre Office, Calibre, VLC, CCleaner all good.
      Had to figure out how to connect to my NAS drives.
      Network sharing between computers so far, so good.

This iMac (Late 2012, 3.1GHz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB) has a 1TB spinner (stupid decision at purchase).
      I backed up my Parallels VMs and deleted them off the HDD (Win7 was 60GB and Win10 around 25GB) thinking it would help fragmentation. Will put them back shortly and be sure all is up and up.

I did lose my Free InSSIDer app that I have had since before they became paid. I will miss that one – have to find a free substitute when I have time. But, so far, that’s the only thing that hasn’t worked.

• #1986326 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Some additional information on external connections in Catalina:

NAS drive connected by smb – there has been a change in the connections. I cannot verify this, but I think smb1 has been disabled. I have a 3TB Seagate Central and a 5TB Seagate Personal Cloud. Connecting them required some changes.
        Previously, the connection was smb://servername/sharepoint
        Currently, it is smb://servername._smb._tcp.local/sharepoint

Also, NetBIOS is disabled in Catalina, which may affect printers and other communication.

The solution is in Catalina release note

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos_release_notes/macos_catalina_10_15_beta_2_release_notes

NetBIOS is disabled in macOS 10.15 to speed up mounting, browsing, and connecting to SMB shares. Some older printers and file servers may require NetBIOS to connect. (51119111)

To enable NetBIOS, you can create or edit the /etc/nsmb.conf file. If your system doesn’t already have an /etc/nsmb.conf file, use the following Terminal commands while logged in as an Administrator:
        echo "[default]" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf
        echo "port445=both" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

To disable NetBIOS, you can safely delete the /etc/nsmb.conf file.

See the rest of the discussion on this here.

I was able to print to my Brother and HP network connected printers (connected with static IP addresses, not printer names).
        I enabled NetBIOS using the above method, but in my case it didn’t seem to make any difference with either the NAS drives (also connected with static IP addresses instead of servername) or the printers, so I deleted the nsmb.conf file.

• #1986367 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Here are some of the latest versions of software I have installed. This should be done before the upgrade to Catalina.
      Parallels 15
      TrendMicro v 10.0.1663
      AdobeReaderDC v 2019.021.20048
      Paragon NTFS for Mac v 15.5.65
      Calibre for Mac v 4.2
      Malwarebytes v 3.9.32
      Kindle app v 1.26.1 (55096)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Updates for MacOS Catalina, iOS, and iPadOS

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.