• Updates for Win7 Home Premium Clean Install

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 7 » Questions: Windows 7 » Updates for Win7 Home Premium Clean Install

Author
    Topic

I am trying to do a clean install for Win7 Home Premium, and chose the “ask me later” option during install. Now I need updates and it hasen’t asked me if I want updates. I went into Windows update and selected my settings I need 59 important and 3 optional updates. The list is extensive and I’ve been trying to check for issues with the updates, patches, and stuff but I’m getting confused and overwhelmed, are there any that I should absolutly not install. I have a laptop from Gateway about 2 1/2 years old. 2GB memory, AMD Turon64 but not sure about the other stuff. and also should I install the MSE first?
    Sincerely Evelyn

Viewing 19 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

As far as I can tell, there is only one recent problematic update and for people who run Office 2007. Anything else should be fine.

You can install MSE before or after the updates, no big difference.

Thank you so much I will be installing Office Prof. Academic 2010
      Sincerely, Evelyn

Office 2010 is not affected by that issue, so you should be ok .

…Well so far so good
      Thanks
      Evelyn

I have had absolutely no problems and have installed every update posted. I do use Office 2010, not 2007.

…Just an aside what happened to the MS-DEFCON thing. It’s still in his books for Win7.

…Just an aside what happened to the MS-DEFCON thing. It’s still in his books for Win7.

Sorry, what are you referring to? Is it the last Tuesday’s MS updates? If so, the only problems seems to have been restricted to the Outlook 2007 problem I talked about before.

Woody has a site that is completely independent of this site. That is where he continues to use the “MS-DECON thing”. Most people here believe you run more risk not installing patches than you do installing patches.

Joe

--Joe

Woody has a site that is completely independent of this site. That is where he continues to use the “MS-DECON thing”. Most people here believe you run more risk not installing patches than you do installing patches.

Joe

Well thank you ever so much, I just assumed it would be connected to this site, silly me for assuming anything!
          Evelyn

Please forgive me…

And thank you for your patience. In the “Dummies” Books that Woody Leonhard writes he makes a referance to his website– askwoody.com. He refers to the safety of installing windows patches by a rating system similar to the U.S. Armed Forces DEFCON system. Only he calls it the Microsoft Patch Defense Condition Level–MS-DEFCON, page 665 in his “Windows 7 All-in-one For Dummies”, 8 books in one. The old Lounge made it easier to see the system, but I haven’t seen it in a long time, though I haven’t had the extra time to really dig for it. I just thought you might know if it still existed. Thank you anyway.

Sorry for the confusion
      Sincerely, Evelyn

Hi Evelyn,

Yes the system still exists in http://www.askwoody.com (I went to have a look sometime today). Think the level for last Tuesday was MS-DEFCON 2. As I said, only one patch seemed to create issues with Outlook 2007.

I also subscribe to the opinion expressed by JoeP just before your last post – you run more risks not installing patches than installing them.

Hi,

Thanks for taking a look at that. I also went to find it after I realized my folly and found it. I did install all the updates. KB 2412171 wasn’t among them. So far the computer is running fine. I haven’t loaded any of my programs yet. But I don’t think I’ll have any problem… If I do you know where I’ll go first!! you guessed it RightHere!

Thanks A Million,
      Evelyn

Evelyn,

You’re welcome .

Like any other members here, I have been applying Windows updates for many years and I don’t ever remember having a serious problem because of it. KB 2412171 is an update for Outlook 2007, so only those users who have Outlook will get it.

Personally I would skip any “Optional” updates. They are usually driver updates or small enhancements to windows components. All other updates marked “Important” are security related and should be installed.

Personally I would skip any “Optional” updates. They are usually driver updates or small enhancements to windows components. All other updates marked “Important” are security related and should be installed.

I agree with you. I never install driver updates with all the important updates.

I still do not trust Windows Update to have the best drivers available. I use drivers from the OEM when I need to update them. However, I do always review the “optional” updates. Fairly regularly, significant updates to other components are made available as an optional update. If I decide I do not need nor want a paricular optional update I hide it.

Joe

--Joe

Wow Thanks!

I had a busy day yesterday and couldn’t get on the computer, I just got a free moment and I am breathing much easier now knowing the updates ar OK. I did install two of the optional driver updates. I have some weird ATI graphics card that always requires a driver update. The nice thing is though that Win 7 upgrade recognized it and I didn’t have to install it myself, it came with the updates. When I reinstalled Vista I had a heck of a time getting the drivers to install. For months I kept getting a message that I didn’t have permission to change the settings for the drivers. Problem was, I didn’t, Best Buy did, after they fixed my computer from a spill. They changed the hard drive and something else. But my computer never worked right after that. I still makes some weird noises but It’ll be ok ’til I get a new one in a year or two. I’m doing all the little tweaks and such before I start reloading my programs, the computer I’m using right now was my Mom’s so it’s not too big a deal if I take my time and hopefully do things right.

Sincerely, Evelyn

You should consider getting an external drive and embarking on a backup scheme. Make a complete image of your system after you are finished adjusting the operating system to your liking and before you begin installing all your applications. That way should some disaster happen during the application install process you have a clean point to which you can return. Then, when you are finished with the application install process and all seems well make another image of the system. Once again you have a clean point to which you can return in case of a disaster.

Setup a schedule to make regular image backups of your system. If the worst happens and you have to get a PC repaired it should not be as painful because you’ll have a recent backup of the system. You’d only lose the work & files done since the last backup.

Joe

--Joe

If your doing a reinstall then MS optional are always pesky about showing up. I get around that by injecting them on my dvd.
      First time I installed that optional Nvidia I could see the grass blades on my desktop wallpaper so I knew that was better drivers, so I done as follows

C:WindowsSystem32DriverStoreFileRepository search and found the nv_disp.inf.xxxx folder, and copied it for use.

Joe and Veegertx,
      Thanks for your suggestions– I have a question though: I have an external hard drive made by Toshiba, not a real expensive one, almost 300GB. Can I make a folder to keep my backups in rather than letting them go willynilly all over the hard drive? — I already have two emergency backups from when I had the Vista OS that I eventually want to integrate back into an improved file system. The first backup was performed by Best Buy, the second one I just copied all my files to the hard drive by hand.
      Sincerely,
      Evelyn

I am running on SP1 RC and there are not that many updates except security and MSE and that is what Technet said it would be. I capture the updates by clicking the More Information link in WU and place them into a folder saving them if I do a win 7 install disk or a VM. Office updates I extract and copy the .msp to Update folder in Office Folder

I am running on SP1 RC and there are not that many updates except security and MSE and that is what Technet said it would be. I capture the updates by clicking the More Information link in WU and place them into a folder saving them if I do a win 7 install disk or a VM. Office updates I extract and copy the .msp to Update folder in Office Folder

Ooops! My mistake, I meant the back-up, for the whole computer. Joe P. said: “You should consider getting an external drive and embarking on a backup scheme. Make a complete image of your system after you are finished adjusting the operating system to your liking and before you begin installing all your applications.” So I was wondering, can I send backups to a designated folder on the external hard drive? The reason I’m asking is because when I tried to do this before I just followed the instructions and I don’t think I did it right, because I wasn’t prompted to put in a file/or folder name, and I don’t recall the computer telling me it was going to make one for me.

Yes you should be able to create a folder for your Images. That’s what I do for the 3 different PC’s I Image onto my Ext HD.

My Backups Ted (Acronis True Image Home 2011)

My Backups Sheila (ATI Home 2010)

My Backups Abbie (ATI Home 2010)

I then further make sure the title shows the PC being Imaged (i.e. Ted Laptop Complete Image) and ALWAYS add a date to the name. Acronis will automatically add a date if that option is selected. This way if I have to restore an Image (happens quite regularly on my laptop since I am constantly “playing with the OS) I can choose which folder to get the Image from, and which Image I wish to use. It is also very important that if you want to minimize the time it takes to restore your PC after disater strikes, you need to create Up To Date images when something changes on your PC. I usually do this at very least once per month, and on my PC much more often as I make many changes.

I use a Seagate Free Agent Go 1 TB Ext USB HD, have more than 20 Images stored, and still have well over half the drive as free space. My Images are roughly 20 GB compressed size, which correlates to about 35 GB of real size. Obviously if your used space is larger, then the amount of space you use on your Ext HD will be different. In my case since I do not have large amounts of data, I include both my C Drive (OS and apps) and my D Drive (data) in all my Images. If you have large amounts of data I would not recommend this method for backing up your data, but it works fine for me.

When I restore, I can choose to restore the entire HD, or just a particular partition (usually the C Drive). This is one of the advantages of the 3rd party Imaging apps over the Win 7 Backup and Restore app I believe.

Sorry about rambling on about my schemes.

You can create a folder if you wish. Any folder is just for visual organizational purposes. Windows puts files wherever it wishes on the disk.

Joe

--Joe

You can create a folder if you wish. Any folder is just for visual organizational purposes. Windows puts files wherever it wishes on the disk.

Joe

Thanks Joe. It is nice to have a recognizable starting point, especially for me.

Evelyn

Thanks Ted,

Hey ramble away, I appreciate the mental image. It helps me visualize my drive and it helps me understand the diferent ways people set up their discs. Which brings me to another question. I did not set up partitions on my C drive. I noticed you have a C: (OS and Apps) and a D: (data), My Moms computer was setup that way too from Best Buy. When they set up my computer they did not setup two seperate partitions (C: and D:). So I didn’t partition my hard drive when I put Win7 on my laptop, I wasn’t sure how to set up the file system so it would work right. Apparently my Mom didn’t either her D: (data) drive was empty. I was running out of space in her computer so I moved a bunch of files over there to let the programs work properly in the C: drive. Any way my question is: Do I have to do the partition at install, or can I make a D: data drive after I get the computer set up? I think I read somewhere that it’s a pain in the neck to try to set up partitions after install is complete.

Thanks for listining to my rambling.
      Sincerely, Evelyn

Thanks Ted,

Hey ramble away, I appreciate the mental image. It helps me visualize my drive and it helps me understand the diferent ways people set up their discs. Which brings me to another question. I did not set up partitions on my C drive. I noticed you have a C: (OS and Apps) and a D: (data), My Moms computer was setup that way too from Best Buy. When they set up my computer they did not setup two seperate partitions (C: and D:). So I didn’t partition my hard drive when I put Win7 on my laptop, I wasn’t sure how to set up the file system so it would work right. Apparently my Mom didn’t either her D: (data) drive was empty. I was running out of space in her computer so I moved a bunch of files over there to let the programs work properly in the C: drive. Any way my question is: Do I have to do the partition at install, or can I make a D: data drive after I get the computer set up? I think I read somewhere that it’s a pain in the neck to try to set up partitions after install is complete.

Thanks for listining to my rambling.
        Sincerely, Evelyn

Very easy to do after your PC is set up. Either any partitioning 3rd party app (I have both Partition Wizard and Easeus PArtition Master) will work (both these have free versions) or Win 7 Disk Manager can do the job. In your search box type Disk Management and choose Create and format hard disk partitions. You will see your C Drive. If you right click on the C drive you can Shrink Volume. I chose to shrink my volume to about 75 GB. After the Win 7 Disk Manager completes you will then see 2 partitions, an approx. 75 GB Healthy partition containing your System, Boot, page file, etc. and the remaining will be unallocated space. Right click on the unallocated space and format it, then set it to logical. This should now give you a HD with 2 partitions, a approx 75 GB OS partition and a second partition with the remainder of the space into which you can move your data or what ever you wish to put there.

Ted,

Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you!

Things are getting really busy around here so I will let you know how it worked out after Christmas, I plan to be finished by New Year. It only seems right to start the New Year with a fresh computer (OS anyway) and freshly installed programs. I was a small time graphic artist for a local shopping guide, and I had a short run at publishing my own magazine, (poetry is a little too cultured for my area, but hey, I tried.) I love graphics, photos, video and audio, I just love making things that people enjoy, and that makes them smile, or think.

Have a very Merry Christmas and New Year!!!

Sincerely, Evelyn

Viewing 19 reply threads
    Reply To: Updates for Win7 Home Premium Clean Install

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: