News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Updating a New Lenovo Yoga C740-14 with Windows 10 Home 64

Posted on John782 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Updating a New Lenovo Yoga C740-14 with Windows 10 Home 64

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        John782
        AskWoody Plus

I bought the above on Cyber Monday directly from Lenovo.  My old Toshiba Satellite W7 laptop is still working OK. So I was wondering if I should use my old laptop until the December updates have been cleared here , or is it OK to go ahead with the W10 updates now? I haven’t even turned the Yoga on yet, but I was wondering  if I should update to one of the 1900 Versions or just let it stay at the 1809 Version for now when I do update?  I would like to turn off automatic updates and control updates myself like I have been able to with W7, but reading some things here concerning W10,  it appears that is limited or non-existent with certain W10 versions, especially with Windows 10 Home. I appreciate the work and effort that went into developing this website, and the people who contribute their expertise to those of us who are not computer experts.  Right now I’m just pretty clueless (hopefully I will catch on pretty quickly) on W10 and would appreciate any assistance, or suggestions on what to do. Thank you and have a nice day.

• #2019397 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

As has been said here before: boot from a backup USB, attach a USB hard disk and backup the disk before doing anything.

Then leave the machine disconnected from the web and fire it up and run through the setup.
        Backup a second time.

Connect to the web and let it update what it wants.
        Backup a 3rd time.

Enjoy.

If you want to stop future updates from loading automatically, set your network connection to “metered”.

cheers, Paul

• #2085494 Reply
        John782
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks  Paul. I had some out of town family health issues after I posted this and this past weekend was when I was finally able to get my computer set up.  Everything went fine, with no hiccups. The build date on the laptop was September 2019, and it had v1903. The only updates I had available were the December updates and some Intel updates.  Updating went very quickly and smoothly.  I was considering getting the windows update blocker, but I saw where I can now pause updates for up to 35 days.  So I did pause for 35 days. Hopefully Microsoft won’t over ride that?  Thanks again.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Updating a New Lenovo Yoga C740-14 with Windows 10 Home 64

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.