News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Updating from 2004 to 21H1

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        WSBJB
        AskWoody Lounger

I am trying to stay a little more current…..last time I upgraded to 2004 I used an ISO to update.

Given my jump is much smaller this time is the recommendation to just let windows update do its thing or generate an ISO like last time and run that?

And as I type this I realize that 21H1 has not been out that long so perhaps I am better off just waiting some more!

Thanks,

WSBJB

anonymous

The ISO update should be slower.  With an SSD the enablement package mini update could be 5 minutes and the ISO could be 30 minutes.  If you have a non-SSD the ISO could be over an hour.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Use the TRV method. Download the required file and double click it, then wait for Windows Update to do its thing.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
        WSBJB
        AskWoody Lounger

My OS drive is an SSD.  If I used an ISO it would be on a mechanical internal drive on the same PC.

Sounds like you are saying it is better to use windows update or run the Windows Update Assistant on the PC?

WSBJB

PKCano
        Manager

If you have the Pro Edition, use Group Policy as described in AKB2000016 Guide for Windows Update Settings for Win10. Use Section 5 and the screenshots at the end under the instructions. Set Target Release Version to 20H2.

If you have The Home Edition, download Susan’s .reg file 20H2.reg, put it on your Desktop, and double click on it. It will set the Target Release Version (TRV) to 20H2 in the Registry so you don’t get 21H1. The explanation of whet the .reg file does is in AKB2000016 Section 2.

Use Windows Update for the upgrade.

WSBJB
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks to you both for your input. One solution involves editing the registry, the other uses group policy. I am comfortable with either one and then I guess I just use windows update and it will “find it” after making the changes.

Is the reason I have to do either of these things because otherwise windows update will not yet download this new version?

If that is the only reason and it will eventually be offered to me in a month or two, I am in no hurry to force it just to get it right now.  I just want to install it in the manner that is most reliable.

WSBJB

PKCano
          Manager

The settings I suggested will guarantee you get v20H2 instead of 21H1 through Windows Update if there are no problems and everything works right., nothing more.
          They don’t make something work that does not work, ie, fix problems..

WSBJB
        AskWoody Lounger

Got it.. Thanks, that’s what I thought.

And there is never a guarantee of no issues with Windows Updates 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Updating from 2004 to 21H1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.