News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Updating Windows Defender’s engine component

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Updating Windows Defender’s engine component

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Bob99
        AskWoody Plus

How do you go about getting Windows Defender to update its engine?

The reason I ask is that a security vulnerability was just fixed, according to an article in Bleeping Computer, to disable the ability of Windows Defender to download any file of its or your choosing. See here.

I’m on version 4.18.2008.9 of the engine, and the fixed version is 4.18.2009.2-0. How do I force WD to update to the new engine? I’ve already tried WU with no success. All Defender wants to seemingly do is download new definitions when I force it to check for updates. I have no indication of it or WU downloading any new engines.

However, I DO have a folder that has an older engine’s version number on it in my Program Data folder. That tells me that it was updated in the past at some point, but how did it happen?

I’m following guidelines for WU set up in the AKB that @PKCano wrote a few months ago here on AskWoody, so I don’t have WU automatically getting whatever it wants. Yep, I’m on version 2004 of Windows 10 with the September patches installed, before I knew how to stop them.

Thanks for any help you cognoscenti can give!

• #2298319 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

This screenshot from my W8.1 box shows engine 1.1.17400.5. Same on my W10 1903 box.

Capture-1

The Client Version (AMServiceVersion) on my W10 box shows the same as you have – 4.18.2008.9

You can find the version information with this PowerShell command: get-mpcomputerstatus

cheers, Paul

Attachments:
      • #2298408 Reply
        anonymous

It’s not a security vulnerability and 4.18.2008.9 is the latest version of the client/platform (not engine):

Latest security intelligence updates for Windows Defender Antivirus and other Microsoft antimalware

BleepingComputer is the ONLY site which has alleged that the -DownloadFile capability is a problem (because it really isn’t).

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Updating Windows Defender’s engine component

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.