News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Upgrade Firefox…recommendations please.

Viewing 25 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Hi.

This might seem too simple of a request but since a few sites have recommended  me to ‘upgrade my browser to a newer version’ and so certain pages and some links don’t open now, I wonder if there is any danger of losing any data by upgrading. It seems like a straightforward procedure even for me but are there any recommendations any reader might have please for the best browser to upgrade to as I read conflicting suggestions through Google.

I have windows Vista 7, home premium PC, 64 bit operating system.

I use Firefox currently.

Thank you, Kevin.

b
        AskWoody MVP

There’s no danger of losing data by updating your browser.

You either have Windows Vista or Windows 7. It can’t be both.

Which version of Firefox (check at Menu, Help, About) do you use?

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Kevin, Firefox update for Windows Vista, you’re out of luck, as Mozilla ended support for Vista a while back which was 52.9.0 ESR so, no more updates using that OS.

You could try Comodo IceDragon which is derived from Firefox and apparently works even now! with Windows Vista and WINDOWS XP!

Windows 8 / 8.1 / 7 / Vista / XP – 32/64 bit, 128 MB RAM and 40 MB Hard Disk Space

W10, the itch you simply cannot scratch!
        3 users thanked author for this post.
          Cybertooth
          AskWoody Plus

I was excited at the possibility that there might be a not-completely-obscure browser that still works on Vista. Downloaded the setup file and went through the installation.

Sadly, when trying to launch IceDragon, Windows reports that it is “not a valid Win32 application.” Went to the Comodo forum to see what’s up and there are other similar complaints from people who couldn’t install it on Vista or XP. Apparently what’s (not) happening is that the Comodo folks haven’t gotten around to updating their website to tell people that IceDragon does not work on XP or Vista.

The installation did work well enough so that, a minute or two after that error message, an offer popped up asking to install Comodo Internet Security and to set Yahoo as my default home page.

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

DRATS! Comodo advertise IceDragon as ‘Vista / XP’ compliant, only to find out that newer versions don’t play with these Operating systems..fake/dated advertising!

IceDragon does not offer support for Windows XP and Vista from version 43 onwards

Source: Comodo Forums comodo staff member Razvan Romanescu
          Even if you were to find v43, it’s a fruitless quest IMO as you will be back to square one.
          apologies Kevin..grrrr

anonymous

Thanks for your help and replies. I have windows Vista.

I have used a site ‘familysearch’ for years and they suggest Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Safari but I just researched the Comodo iceDragon link (thank you which I had never heard of and it looks good and like you say is  compatible and offers good security features. The reviews are that it’s not as fast as Chrome but faster than standard Firefox, and is safe.

I guess it’ll take me through the steps.

anonymous

Here I am again. Hope someone can help with some simple guidelines.

I downloaded and (almost I guess) installed the Comodo ice dragon browser.

A pop up- box says “you have chosen to open icedragonsetup.exe which is Binary File (79,4MB) from http://cdn.download.comodo.com“. it asks if I’d like to save the file or cancel but ‘save’ isn’t highlighted only cancel. Don’t know what it means.

I did find the icon on my desktop for the comodo browser and when I opened it it says “internet Explorer cannot display web page”…an unknown program would like to change your default search provider to yahoo..

There was a box within that page that has  disappeared but said “conflicting software has been detected: running multiple antivirus programs simultaneously can slow your computer. Select conflicting programs and click ‘uninstall’ ..and it shows two programs I must have running still..McFee Security Scan Plus and Norton 360 both highlighted prompting their removal I guess. Does comodo come with free antivirus anyway (once I can get it up and running).?

Sorry this sounds juvenile but I don’t want to mess it up.

I will still be able to keep Modzilla too right or will the comodo installation delete it?

Thank you! Kevin.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

It is possible you have installed Comodo anti virus.
        Go to Programs and look for anything “Comodo”. Uninstall anything that is not IceDragon Browser.

When you download icedragonsetup.exe you need to save it on your local disk. Sometimes you have to wait a little while for the save button to be available.

cheers, Paul

anonymous

Thanks PaulT- appreciate your help.  Will work on it a little later and report.

anonymous

Strangely the posts from cybertooth and microfix yesterday afternoon didn’t load for me and I just saw them now and that, after posting my findings yesterday evening after a fruitless icedragon download. What I experienced was the same as cybertooth but they explained it better than me.

Thanks for the apology microfix-no worries, I just would like to still find something compatible as I’d prefer to be able to use the sites I use fully.

I guess I should uninstall or delete icedragon as it isn’t doing anything.

I will keep looking but if anyone can locate an update please let us know.

Thank you. Kevin.

anonymous

Hello again. I’ve been doing a bit of research and found the information on the link here which is (apparently) current information and free. I’ve not heard of these browsers but maybe some of you might have. Need to try and find reviews..after I mow the lawn.

Thank you.

anonymous

It’s me- forgot to add the link..here it is https://windowsreport.com/browsers-old-computer/

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Your link is blocked as harmful.

Attachments:
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

What does the full report say, Alex?

cheers, Paul

Alex5723
              AskWoody Plus

Trustworthiness
              42/100

I trust WOT.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Alex5723.
              Attachments:
                Moonshine
                AskWoody Lounger

VirusTotal Report on Windows Report page:

‘No security vendors flagged this URL as malicious’

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Here’s the wording to the link I posted above earlier:

“Google, Opera Software, and Mozilla have dropped Windows XP and Vista support for Chrome, Opera, and Firefox. As such, you can’t run the most recent versions of those browser” href=”https://windowsreport.com/web-browser/” data-id=”http://data.windowsreport.com/windowsreport/entity/web_browser;http://rdf.freebase.com/ns/m.082hp;http://dbpedia.org/resource/Web_browser“>browsers on antiquated laptops or desktops with those platforms. Even if Chrome was still compatible with Windows XP, that browser‘s heavy RAM usage will stretch more outdated PCs’ system resources to the limit.

Thus, Google Chrome is not an ideal browser if you use an outmoded personal computer. Speaking of RAM usage, we recommend installing a monitoring tool to manage your computer resources more efficiently.

There are, however, a number of more lightweight alternatives to Chrome that will not hog system resources. They are streamlined browsers that are more system resource-efficient.

Most of those lightweight browsers also remain compatible with Windows XP and Vista. These are some of the browsers that are ideal for old, slow PCs.

Opera, UR Browser, K-Meleon, Midori, Pale Moon, or Maxthon are some of the best browsers that you can install on your old PC.

They don’t require a huge amount of computer resources to run properly. This is a major advantage when talking about old computers”.

Kevin.

[Moderator edit:] Deleted HTML. Please paste into Text tab.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by b.
        • This reply was modified 1 month ago by b.
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Of those mentioned, Palemoon seems/was popular on here, and is also based on an older firefox with their own security measures in place. @Satrow would probably be the best person to discuss the option of Palemoon with Vista (if it’s viable?) or perhaps Cybertooth can chime in who has/uses Vista also.

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

Of those mentioned, Palemoon seems/was popular on here, and is also based on an older firefox with their own security measures in place. @Satrow would probably be the best person to discuss the option of Palemoon with Vista (if it’s viable?) or perhaps Cybertooth can chime in who has/uses Vista also.

Sorry to say, the most recent version of Pale Moon that works on Vista is 27.9.4, which came out already a couple of years ago. When version 28 was released, the attempt to install it created major problems for Vista users; can’t remember whether it was BSOD’s or corrupted browser profiles, but I do remember it was something I wouldn’t want happening on my computer!

Fortunately, I am slow to apply updates  🙂  and so by the time I got around to trying to install version 28, it had already been blocked from installing on Vista by Pale Moon’s developers. Every so often the updater applet pops up to report that “something is blocking Pale Moon from updating.”

Regarding alternative browsers, I think there are a couple of them, maintained by what appear to be either single individuals or very small teams. My judgment is that my Vista system is safer with a 2-year-old browser (and a multitude of other security layers) than with these obscure browsers.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Palemoon with Vista (if it’s viable?)

No. Win7 +

anonymous

Thank you Cybertooth for your comments. You helped- not needing to go that route now.

I’ll delete the comodo stuff and carry on like I did before the promptings- at least until more information might come forth.

I was on this site a couple of months ago looking for suggestions for the best (free?) compatible security system since Comcast stopped their Norton 360 coverage. Still looking so I can also layer more. I returned the 360 Norton security ‘system’ to Best Buy…we weren’t sure if it was fully compatible, it was $39.95 and there was a contract! Didn’t like that since after the year the price would increase!

My system shows ‘Firewall’ on.

‘automatic update’ on- but no updates of course.

‘Malware’ -nothing.

‘virus 360’ off.    At least there seems to be some coverage and it tells me “All internet

security settings are set to their recommended levels”.

If anyone can kindly offer suggestions with the security coverage I’d appreciate it. I haven’t had any real threats except the Google, ‘prize winner attack’-  with it’s irritating bells and whistles.

Thanks to all. Kevin.

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

If anyone can kindly offer suggestions with the security coverage I’d appreciate it.

Hi Kevin,

There are at least two known companies offering current versions of their antivirus software that still work on Vista: Panda and eScan. I had Norton 360 on most of these machines until Norton/Symantec stopped supporting their software on Vista early this year.

Also, Avast is still regularly providing virus definitions to Vista systems, but only for older versions of their security suite.

There are other things you can do to enhance your Vista system’s protection:

I use the ZoneAlarm Firewall (last version working on Vista, from a well-known third-party site: 15.6.121.18102) because it specifically asks me to give permission every time a new program on my PC tries to access the Internet;

OSArmor, which extends this permission concept to other files that may try to run on the computer, and then (usually) remembers my choices so that I don’t get the same questions asked over and over; and

HitmanPro.Alert (manufacturer’s direct download link), which has a variety of security features including keystroke encryption (useful against keyloggers) and ransomware protection.

Hope this helps!

anonymous

Thank you very much Cybertooth. Only just now saw and read your message (had stuff to deal with) and the other ones below I’ll read in a while but wanted to thank you and yes your help is appreciated and I’ll look into your suggestions.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Is there any software you need that is Windows only?
        If not you could switch to Linux and get modern browsers and other apps.

cheers, Paul

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

If anyone can kindly offer suggestions with the security coverage I’d appreciate it.

No security software will protect an obsolete, unsupported insecure OS. The same goes for old versions of browsers.
        I agree with Paul T. Move to Linux (if you don’t want to use Windows 8.1 or 10).

anonymous

I tend to disagree with Linux but if that’s the path, start with Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.  Not Ubuntu, the Gnome desktop will send newbies back to Windows really fast.  It’s clunky and recent versions have been stripped of useful features.

The two general issues I have with Linux are the lack of apps for any of the three main branches.  Windows has countless options, Linux is nothing even close.  But, if all you want are a few apps and a browser, it’s fine.  Linux developers deserve a lot of credit for what they have done; many are volunteers and do it out of their love for the craft.

The second issue is there’s a myth that “Linux runs on anything.”  Not true, the big distros with many features are almost as hoggy as Windows and do not run well on old or underpowered machines.  I’ve tried maybe a dozen distros with my 2011 laptop test machine (excellent in its time) and the only one that moves fast and gives decent touchpad performance is KDE neon, a distro that you build into what you want.

Mint with Cinnamon for newbies.

🙂

ClearThunder
        AskWoody Plus

If anyone can kindly offer suggestions with the security coverage I’d appreciate it. I haven’t had any real threats except the Google, ‘prize winner attack’- with it’s irritating bells and whistles.

Spring for the good stuff.  McAfee or Norton360 is good. Plus you can install it on five devices, including your phone(s). Those ‘introductory’ 39.99/yr security packages can be extended at around the same cost when your one year subscription (it’s not a contract) to receive definitions and product updates is over. When your ‘subscription’ nears an end, and you see the cost of renewal has gone up, just call tech support and tell them you need help uninstalling the product.  When they ask you why you want to uninstall, just tell them you found another product at a lower price. Tell them how much, and they will offer to extend your subscription at the same price.

It’s worked for me three times. 🙂

"Censorship is thought control" ----- Ronald Reagan

anonymous

ClearThunder, thanks, it’s an option and I suppose and a good way to keep the price down a bit! Kevin.

anonymous

That FF message you saw is often plopped in place to get users to install chrome or edge; it’s probably meaningless.  You could try FF ESR (extended support release), which is much more streamlined anyway.  I’ve used it for almost a decade, much smoother than the regular version but looks identical.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/enterprise/

Scroll down, pick your OS and choose the ESR option, not the MSI option, that has a number of installation options you don’t need.  Installation is simple, good installer.

Eset nod 32 AV (not the internet suite, unnecessary) has been excellent for us.  Small footprint, good protection, unnoticeable hit on speed.

Avoid Avast and AVG; they are data scrapers but at least they’re open about it.  I don’t know of any free options beside Clam I’d trust today.  Clam’s hard to install and looks weird.   Ten years ago, there were good free options; not today, they’re all data collectors.

Good luck upgrading your OS; you really should, for all the reasons already mentioned. In my case XP quit working well and became really slow on the one holdout machine we had around 2016, maybe.  On the same machines, Win 10 was fine.  I should note that desktop was a good 2008 Dell but reached the end of its upgradeability since software had become so graphics intensive.

🙂

b
          AskWoody MVP

You could try FF ESR (extended support release), which is much more streamlined anyway.  I’ve used it for almost a decade, much smoother than the regular version but looks identical.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/enterprise/

Scroll down, pick your OS and choose the ESR option, not the MSI option, that has a number of installation options you don’t need.  Installation is simple, good installer.

But not for Vista, which this thread is about.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

It will but if we want the last “official” version, it’s here:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win32/

Pick es/US option.

Big security risk.  New OS is best path.

Why recommend an obsolete unsupported insecure browser, which is the front door to your computer ?

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Perhaps some people need to learn to read?

Kevin, Firefox update for Windows Vista, you’re out of luck, as Mozilla ended support for Vista a while back which was 52.9.0 ESR so, no more updates using that OS.

Top of this thread!!

anonymous

Thanks a lot everyone, I’ll be checking out your suggestions in the morning and I’m not the type to do anything too rash without research but it’s always helpful to consider what is working well for others in a similar situation. Kevin.

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Kevin, could you post your PC specs: CPU/ RAM/ Graphics Card?
          As it’s a Vista era PC, I’d expect you’d be thinking about max performance from an older version as Paul-T has suggested below, although Cinnamon is slightly heavier on resources compared to the Mate version. I’d stick with the 64bit version over 32bit.
          Kernels also play a part in older hardware which is why I’d be looking at v19.2 or v19.3 with a 4.15.0-xxx kernel version over newer ones to start with which are supported to 2023. Newer versions only supply from the 5.4x series of kernels which can be problematic with older hardware and some OS functionality.
          Being a distro hopper for over a decade, I’d recommend Mate over Cinnamon.
          You can see all the versions in support here on the Linux Mint site.
          I’ve got a test PC (laptop) from 2008 with 64bit Mint Mate 19.3 on the 4.15.0-xxx series of kernel, that runs fluid and has done since installation a good while back.

2 users thanked author for this post.
            DrBonzo
            AskWoody Plus

A bit more anecdotal information: I’ve got Mint 19.2 64 bit Cinnamon with the 4.15 kernel running on a 2016 Dell laptop with a core i3, a 2009 Acer laptop with a Celeron, and a 2009 Gateway netbook with an Intel Atom. The only one that’s at all problematic is the last one which is a bit slow but still quite usable. I’ve never used Mate, only Cinnamon, which is quite a good bit like Windows 7. The Acer came with Vista installed on it.

I don’t know how techie you are, but I can say that I’m not, and I managed to figure out the installation without much trouble. The Mint website has pretty good documentation for installing and using Mint. I think you can get quite a bit of help here at AskWoody, too.

https://linuxmint.com/

anonymous

Thank you! Will be looking into it this afternoon and other suggestions. Thanks so much, and yes, not very ‘Techie’-might have a friend come ’round to help.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You can test Linux on your PC by creating a Live USB and booting from it.
        Nothing will be changed on the PC.

Download the ISO from here
        Burn to USB with Rufus / copy to USB with Ventoy
        Boot from USB.

cheers, Paul

anonymous

Thanks Paul. Lots of good info from your post and from others on here. Some suggestions I need to learn more about which is a slower process for the somewhat inexperienced person.

Kevin.

anonymous

Hello forum folk.

I know it’s been a while since I wrote here but somewhat in line with my original starting question I wondered if anyone can give my their opinion why my Comcast usage (data) has ‘apparently’ trebled these last two months and although Comcast shows I have 100 GB left for April and shouldn’t get charged the $10,… up until March the data was never over 500GB and I’m talking years.

WiFi doesn’t add data and I actually only have a home ‘phone (surprise) that I barely use.

I download and upload just as much as I always did..approximately.

Does anyone have any ideas? Bye the way I still don’t have proper security although Komodo Cloud seems to have kicked in as security (bells ring) when I tried upgrading it as a browser and it didn’t take. Occasionally I do get one maybe two unwanted pop-ups every other day depending which site google takes me, where I have to close out or hit the back button several times so it won’t load again.

Thank you anyone, Kevin.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Something you have loaded recently may be consuming the data. It could be Comodo.
        What else have you installed / tried to install?

cheers, Paul

p.s. have you tried Linux?

anonymous

Hi Paul, thanks for responding..no nothing, just still doing my family genealogy uploading and downloading but only installed Comodo a few weeks ago. I left it on since it seemed to be some form of security. I’ll have to remove it I suspect.

No I haven’t heard of Linux and just googled. Were you asking regarding it’s value or this…

<span class=”ILfuVd NA6bn”><span class=”hgKElc”><b>Linux is</b> an extremely popular operating system for <b>hackers</b>. There are two main reasons behind this. First off, <b>Linux’s</b> source code <b>is</b> freely available because it <b>is</b> an open source operating system. … This type of <b>Linux hacking is</b> done in order to gain unauthorized access to systems and steal data.</span></span>

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

You may find Linux does all you need on old hardware and has the latest patched version of browser / apps.

See this thread for testing methodology. #2358073

cheers, Paul

anonymous

Thank you, will look into it Paul. I uninstalled comodo as I did read it ‘uses a lot of resources’.

I’ll periodically check the Giga0Bytes used as I go along this month and compare. You may be right that comodo was using up my space.

Thanks, Kevin.

Viewing 25 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Upgrade Firefox…recommendations please.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.