News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Upgrade Lenovo e545 kinda let down

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions – Maintenance and backups Upgrade Lenovo e545 kinda let down

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mn– 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Was getting slower it seemed so I upgraded from 4gb RAM to 2 matched Kingston 4 gb sticks (8total) Replaced the SATA 250 GB HDD to Samsung 250 SSD . Cloned w/ Macrium to SSD Was quite zippy at first. Seems to be slowing down . Hesitation at times. Didnt make any changes in BIOS/UEFI- it is set for legacy and UEFI …Just wondering if gradual slow down could have anything to do w/ graphics ? Seriously looking into Linux Mint, esp since win 7 is near eol. Any thing I might have missed ? Disk is only 30% full (now that I was able to get rid of lenovo system partition for restore)

Thankyou

Drifty

• CPU
        AMD A6 5350M / 2.9 GHz
      • Max Turbo Speed
        3.5 GHz
      • Number of Cores
        Dual-Core
      • Cache
        L2 – 1 MB
      • 64-bit Computing
        Yes
      • Chipset Type
        AMD A76M FCH
      • Features
        AMD Turbo CORE technology, integrated memory controller
      • Spindle Speed
        5400 rpm
      • Type
        HDD
      • Capacity
        320 GB

• CPU Type
        A6
      • Processor Number
        A6-5350M
      • Manufacturer
        AMD
      • Clock Speed
        2.9 GHz
      Edit to remove HTML
    • #312559 Reply

anonymous

The hesitation could be anything, what exactly hesitates? Are highly conservative power savings in effect? (Is this an HP laptop?)

Samsung solid-state drives should support the TRIM command to avoid getting slow. Windows 7 should be able to use that TRIM function without user intervention.

• #312588 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

The hesitation could be anything, what exactly hesitates? Are highly conservative power savings in effect? (Is this an HP laptop?)

Unlikely to be a HP-specific problem on a Lenovo…

Now, there are any number of things it might be, from straight software problems to straight hardware problems, some more common than others…

Aggressive powersaving is one possible cause.
      Graphics is unlikely to be it, at least, not directly on an A6.
      Cooling efficiency drop due to dust buildup has caused slowdowns on other Lenovo laptop models.

Another theoretical possible cause would be gradual SSD failure – there probably is (was?) a warranty on an aftermarket part though, and I’ve never seen this symptom on Samsung models yet, but…

Various kinds of software problems are by far the most common cause and that does take its own troubleshooting too. Are you seeing any one process consume a noticeable proportion of your processing power or do you get anything in the Event Viewer?

• #313205 Reply

anonymous

How nice of you to charmingly notice my error. 🙂 Yeah, guess I should register to edit. Anyway,

I have a similar model of Accelerated Processing Unit and until there was a reason update the computer’s firmware because of a serious set of vulnerabilities it was sluggish, sometimes unresponsive. I would used operate it in a higher power state to get tasks done, now it works like new. Updating firmware is a last resort option.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Upgrade Lenovo e545 kinda let down

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.