News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Upgrade Questions – It's been a looong time since 1803

Posted on dmt_3904 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Upgrade Questions – It's been a looong time since 1803

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tex265 1 month ago.

• Author

dmt_3904
      AskWoody Plus

Don’t recall any issues with 1803, but I am trying to prepare for next upgrade.  Was going to go to 1903, guess I waited a bit too long.  I may wait, as others have suggested, until 1909 is declared ready for business.  But then, I don’t know if I can go strait to 1909 from 1803.  Anyway, I am doing a few things to prepare, backup files, recovery drive, etc.  Will get software licenses, passwords, etc.  Have questions on this stuff:

I have a digital license, upgraded to Win10 from Win7.  MS support says this, is it truly that simple?  Afraid I’ll be told you don’t have a license? Sorry!

• During reinstallation, if you’re asked to enter a product key, you can skip this step by selecting I don’t have a product key.  Digital licenses are associated with your hardware and linked to your Microsoft account, so there’s nothing you need to find on your PC. You’re all set once your PC is connected to the internet and you log in to your Microsoft account.

I have O365 subscription.  Should be able to logon and download again, if necessary, correct?

I don’t have 4499183, do I need it for download & install feature?

Finally, I see that most folks posting here prefer to upgrade from ISO, but I am not familiar/comfortable with that – isn’t it ok to just upgrade from Windows update?

thanks, as always, for your help!

• #2004192 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

you do not need the KB4499183 update as newer cumulative updates supersede / replace it

also you can go straight from the 1803 version to the 1909 version and upgrade thru Windows Update, but it will be a full OS feature upgrade, so it will take a while.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  EP.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2005404 Reply

Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

but it will be a full OS feature upgrade

I will also be going from 1803 to at least 1903.

Isn’t a “full OS feature upgrade” what we want?

What are the differences?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Upgrade Questions – It's been a looong time since 1803

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.