Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Upgrade to Win7; from Vista Home 32 bit

Posted on edsmalley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Upgrade to Win7; from Vista Home 32 bit

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

edsmalley
      AskWoody Lounger

Is it possible to upgrade an OLD computer running Vista Home Premium SP2 to Win7? If so how do I do that without costing me a small fortune (retired Vietnam Vet on broken – – err – fixed income – in other words broke)?

I used to have a Win 7 Machine, but I made the mistake of upgrading it to Win10 – after the second (un-solicited) update it became a brick and I have not been able to restore it at all – seems that the hard drive has quit functioning – will not even spin up.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

The difference between Genius and Stupidity:
      A Genius knows their limits.
      - Albert Einstein

• #231231 Reply

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody MVP

I did do that with a Vista computer. You need a Windows 7 license and you can clean install it. I don’t see why it would not work if it was working with Vista, unless your computer had very basic capabilities. They are quite similar.

• #231244 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I assume you have access to a machine that works as you are posting here.

I would try creating a bootable CD to test your machine. Try Hiren’s boot CD – use an old version for your old PC.
      https://www.hirensbootcd.org/old-versions/

If the machine checks out you could try Linux instead of Windows – it’s free. All the things you should need are available in Linux. Try Mint Cinnamon.
      https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3597

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Upgrade to Win7; from Vista Home 32 bit

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.