News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Upgrading From 1809 to 1903

Posted on millerah Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Upgrading From 1809 to 1903

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

millerah
      AskWoody Lounger

Woody:

In your Computer World article of November 1, How to block the Windows 10 November 2019 Update, Version 1909, from Installing, you state that you are seriously considering moving on to version 1903 from version 1809.

Could you please let us know when the time is ripe to do so?

I do have a question on potentially moving to version 1903 (I am currently on 1809 waiting for the green light from you). If we upgrade after the release of version 1909, might we run the risk of being pushed directly to that version by Windows update?

I have the ISO file for version 1903 which I intend to use to move up. When using these files to upgrade,  the set up procedure always asks if you want to check for updates. Even if you don’t check for updates during the upgrade you will have to do so afterwards.

You have classified Version 1909’s upgrade process as a service pack in reality. It will update much like a cumulative update, thus perhaps being treated as a quality update of sorts. With Windows Update open, would there be a possibility for Microsoft to push the upgrade directly to version 1909?

Perhaps now, before the release of version 1909 might be the ideal time to move to version 1903.

I would appreciate your guidance on this matter.

Regards

millerah

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  millerah.
    • #1999100 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

If you use the ISO to upgrade to 1903 from 1809, you should disconnect from the Internet before doing so.
      This will prevent any further upgrades to 1909 and give you the option to review your settings and be sure they are correct before you reconnect to MS.
      You have until May 2020, before 1809 is EOL, to decide when to move up to the next version.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Upgrading From 1809 to 1903

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.