Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Upgrading from 7 to 10

Posted on MrJimPhelps Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Upgrading from 7 to 10

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

I have a Windows 7-64 Professional computer, and I would like to try to get the free upgrade to Windows 10-64 Pro. I want to do a clean install. Can I simply do a clean install of Windows 10 and then use the Windows 7 OEM key for that computer to activate it? I plan on doing the install with a Windows 10 install DVD.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #217412 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

That shouldn’t be a problem, just grab the key out of the Bios if its in there or find the any external Reference to the key from the case/battery compartment and/or if its a laptop.
      No doubt your going to use a USB stick with Rufus and probably download the .iso from M$, if you get from Microsoft when you get the little App, don’t use the M$ recommended settings. Always make it for use with another Machine, you could use the FFU option (Full Flash USB I believe it is?) but your tying up a USB for the future. As a rule I normally save the made .iso at one side then extract the contents to a folder using 7Zip, go in to sources and insert a ei.cfg file, that way you get a choice as to which OS you want (there’s normally about 4-6 flavours of Win10 in every install image) and then remake using Black Box .iso maker (cheapie, free) but it works good although you have to do a bit of copy and paste legwork but its quick.

[EditionID]

[Channel]
      OEM
      [VL]
      Copy and paste in to a notepad windows save as file type “all files” title ei.cfg then throw that in the “Sources” folder. and remake
      Normally Win10 detects the key and installs accordingly. So therefore Win7 Pro Key and Cert/SLIP in Bios will give you Win10 Pro unprompted, if it doesent then just enter the “Old Key” you retrieved earlier and it should immediately, once verified, thrust you in to an upgrade and register with the M$ Servers, allegedly, forever more. Extreme case’s you can insert a PID key file but that’s over complicating it details avial. on request, if it does ask for a key during install there’s Volume keys with the other links listed below, just install keys and not the “Keys to the Kingdom” alas just a short term “Band Aid” for install woes. Not that your likely to hit some of these problems but handy to know the foregoing if you do as once you type FORMAT and or CLEAN or a 3rd party Disk Util. there’s no going back with a Clean Install.
      “Bon Chance” and Welcome to the “Dark Side” 😉
      https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-install-and-activate-windows-10-using-your/d713f9f9-e91f-4ffe-a3c0-7ef9639a0559
      https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-recover-your-lost-windows-7-or-windows-8-product-key
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/blackisoburn/
      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/kmsclientkeys

https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/157711d1507834901-convert-esd-file-wim-using-dism-windows-10-a-image.png?s=40431cbaef320462f3294f7befba79bbNot quite in CMD Prompt but the same command works in Power Shell the same as CMD Prompt
      Not quite the same as my USB here but you get the idea same CMD works in both Power Shell and CMD prompt

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  BobbyB.
    • #217444 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

Update: I had an install disk for Windows 10-64 Pro 1709, so I booted to that disk, formatted the primary partition, and told it to install Windows 10 on that partition. 10 minutes later, with no intervention on my part, I had a fully activated install of Windows 10-64 Pro 1709!

It appears that the free upgrade from 7 to 10 is still available!

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #217448 Reply

BobbyB
        AskWoody Lounger

@mrjimphelps well thats a good result, normally its hassle free, just slap it in there and “Windoze” Sorts its self out. As for the free upgrade yeah I cant see that going any where, anytime soon. On a Brand new “Home Made” machine I wouldnt mind betting you probably could get Home to run free of charge, although I have heard they charge for it, like the old OEM discs for Win7 and 8-8.1 but I havent tried that although I suppose one day I will get round to doing it again. Its certainly not hard, I had a hankering to go for a “Hackintosh” but the Gigabit Board and special Apple compatible hardware is a little prohibitive in cost, as Drivers are an issue in Mac’s i.e. like not availble. If all else fails just run “Windoze” on it, although they do tell me that “Boot camps” being depreciated and I am not hearing too much good about the Mac OS just lately, all in the future I suppose.
        Well glad you got that sorted then anyways 🙂

• #217573 Reply

MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody MVP

I would definitely call this one a “Windoze” upgrade. I could have slept through the whole upgrade / clean install – once I got the process started, I didn’t have to do anything.

Once it was installed and up and running, I had to go through the normal set of questions, such as where I was located and what keyboard layout I wanted to use. But even that part of the process was as easy as it has ever been for me.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #228409 Reply

Microfix
      AskWoody MVP

Ed Bot over at ZDnet has just completed an article October 31, 2018 on how to STILL get a free Windows 10 upgrade..
      https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
      Quick before v1809 Halloween edition lands, OJ 😉

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x64 O/L | XP Pro O/L
        No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
      • #231736 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

You can always go to heidoc.net and grab whichever version of Windows 10 you want (I believe they are all available there) and install that one. That’s what I did. In this way you can avoid getting the “latest and greatest” one.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Upgrading from 7 to 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.