News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Upgrading to 20H2 from 1909

Posted on WSdavbla Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        WSdavbla
        AskWoody Plus

I am being offered 20H2 but have not yet upgraded to 2004 from 1909. Can I bypass 2004 and go direct to 20H2?

• #2307068 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

You can upgrade directly to 20H2 from 1909, if that’s what you want to do.

However, Woody is still recommending staying on v1909 for the time being. It is not EOL until May 2021. There is no rush.
        20H2 is still in the Beta stages, and even 2004 still has enough problems to justifying waiting.

4 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2307070 Reply
          firstmerk
          AskWoody Plus

Agree with PKCano, I absolutely not only wouldn’t bother, I don’t recommend it.
          Both 2004 and 20H2 do away with [Advanced] controls in Windows update. You have nothing left but [Pause] leaving you with only that option in [Update], gpedit modifications, or other ways to control the update process. In effect, MS has stripped that function in Win10 Pro back to “Home” level. I consider that a downgrade and am not keen on it. Plus, I’ve been playing with 2004 for months, and have a recent 20H2 on a test bed.
          No big deal. Nothing there as far as I’m concerned. 1909 is a better version.

Disclaimer – I’ve used gpedit, but am not a fan of it. I find it clunky and confusing. I have to have detailed instructions on hand to set it, every time.

• #2307071 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

Win10 Pro certainly has not been stripped back to Home level. The same Windows Update controls are provided in Group Policy. The only changes are that the deferral pulldowns are no longer in the GUI, but the functionality is still there and unchanged using GP.
            Instructions are available in AKB2000016.

• #2307081 Reply
          EP
          AskWoody_MVP

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

the only remaining issues for 2004 are those that have old or outdated Conexant audio drivers and for those using certain Microsoft IMEs for Japanese or Chinese languages.

• #2307135 Reply
          anonymous

Woody is still recommending staying on v1909 for the time being … 2004 still has enough problems to justifying waiting.

The top story in today’s AskWoody newsletter is not addressed to business users:

(in fact it talks about single machines)

it’s about time to install … 2004

• #2307145 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

Which is Susan, not Woody.
            Woody has not yet (as of 10/26/2020) recommended 2004.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            • #2308284 Reply
              formack
              AskWoody Plus

With advice to install October fixes, and Susan’s info that she had installed v2004, I went ahead in my clumsy way and wound up with v2009. MSoft a tad aggressive. As a result, maybe a few squirrely issues in the past two days–like creating PDFs and some wifi connection interruptions. However, restarting, and restarting again, resolved these and this device (Dell 7573 2in1; i7-8550U; 24GB) seems faster and Windows update works again, as well as my access to Microsoft Store, for what that’s worth. Is the 2004/2009 relationship like that of 1903/1909? Last, will I regret doing this?

• #2308288 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

2004 and 20H2 (aka 2010) have the same core like 1903/1909, with features turned OFF in the earlier version and ON in the later one. They share the same CUs and SSUs.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              • #2308295 Reply
                formack
                AskWoody Plus

Thx. Just noticed that Update History has disappeared. Just a blank space. Nothing else at the moment.

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Upgrading to 20H2 from 1909

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.