News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Upgrading Win7 to Win10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Win7 beyond End-of-life Upgrading Win7 to Win10

• This topic has 11 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Seff
        AskWoody Plus

I’m probably about to make the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my main desktop, and I know about backups and uninstalling security programs (in my case that’s MSE and MBAM although the latter is only run manually), as well as ensuring that whether GWX Control Panel is still installed or has been uninstalled Windows will still recognise its current or last settings so it’s important to ensure that it is/was set to allow the Windows 10 upgrade (although I’m not clear whether it’s advisable to remove it or ok to leave it as long as it is set to allow an upgrade). I think the original anti-upgrade GWX Control Setting left after uninstalling it was probably the cause of an earlier failure to complete the upgrade with no error code given.

What I am after please from those who’ve previously run the upgrade is whether it matters what Windows Update is set to. I normally leave it on “Check and notify but do not download or install” – does it need to be set to “Automatically download and install” for the upgrade to run successfully?

Thanks for any info on this.

• #2172688 Reply
        zero2dash
        AskWoody Lounger

How are you planning on upgrading?

When I’ve upgraded from 7 to 10, I’ve ran setup.exe from the ISO for Win10 from within Win7.
        Doing this, I have not had any issues regardless of the WU settings in Win7.

One thing to mention is that depending on your ISO version and what version you want to end up with, you may want to be disconnected from the internet during the upgrade. I’ve used the 1903 ISO, and being offline obviously it installs 1903. I’ve seen other people mention that if you have network connectivity during the 1903 upgrade, it will try to upgrade you to 1909 instead. Keep this in mind, again depending on what version you’re upgrading to and whether or not you want to go to something else.

Hope this answers your questions (again, depending on how you plan on upgrading). Running setup.exe off the ISO from within Win7 will give you a digital entitlement key and an activated copy of Win10.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2172691 Reply
          Carl
          AskWoody Plus

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I have a 1909 Pro USB stick that I’ve used for bare metal installs. Are you saying that using this procedure, Win 10 will give the option to upgrade (free) my Win 7 installs and obtain a digital entitlement key (thereby invaliding the Win 7 key of course)?

• #2172693 Reply
          Seff
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks zero, I’m planning on doing the upgrade using the Media Creation Tool 1909. That’s what I used before, and it ran successfully until about 75% through the installation when it simply said “Installation has failed” and dropped to the original desktop with no ill-effect. I suspect that was because the GWX Control Panel setting kicked in and blocked the installation.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Seff.
        • #2172705 Reply
          zero2dash
          AskWoody Lounger

@Carl
          That should work, yes. I’ve been using a 1903 USB thumb drive myself and it’s worked great and left me with an activated Win10.

@Seff
          That would be my guess as well (GWX Control Panel). The machines I’ve upgraded were not running GWX CP so I would imagine that’s kicking in at some point and blocking the upgrade.

• #2172716 Reply
            Carl
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks, zero2dash. I do have one concern though. I’m using Intel’s RST RAID driver and software on a couple of computers (SSDs not raided though, but RAID enabled in the BIOS) with the ICH10R controller chipset. I wonder if Win 10 will be able to handle this since this is not an MS ACHI driver.

Also, do think it would be advisable to uninstall Norton Security prior to the update?

• #2172774 Reply
              joep517
              AskWoody MVP

I recommend uninstalling Norton. Third party security programs are among the biggest culprits of failed upgrades.

--Joe

• #2172909 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Windows Update settings are completely different in W10 so there is no point trying to set them. When you are in W10 go to WU and Pause updates for 7 days to let you backup and test that all is well, then remove the pause and update away.

Disconnecting from the internet when it reboots into W10 is the easiest way to prevent updates initially.

cheers, Paul

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Paul T.
      • #2173296 Reply
        Seff
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the various responses to my original post.

This afternoon I successfully upgraded my main machine to Windows 10.

Beforehand I uninstalled MBAM and MSE, and also ensured the settings in GWX Control Panel supported the upgrade, but didn’t uninstall the latter as I wanted to ensure that the revised settings remained activated. I kept the internet connected throughout as I didn’t want to miss any critical updates. I’ll give it a day or two and then pause updates.

It all went smoothly, and took a fraction over 2 hours. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how familiar the desktop looked with Windows 10, I imagine that was in part because I upgraded rather than running a clean install. It seems to have kept everything pretty much as it was.

Thanks again.

• #2282296 Reply
        mccrusier
        AskWoody Plus

Tried to upgrade my HP eliteBook 8440p from win 7 to 10  but it didn’t complete due to the wireless card. I never use the wireless with this computer.  Any way to get around this? Would pulling the wireless card work?  Thanks, Bill

• #2282304 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Have you updated the drivers for the wireless card? There may be other drivers you can update. Check the HP site for your model computer.

• #2282371 Reply
            mccrusier
            AskWoody Plus

I did check but it had the latest drivers.  Thanks Bill

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Upgrading Win7 to Win10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.