News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• USB mouse power management

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 USB mouse power management

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Richard Merchant
        AskWoody Plus

Today’s AskWoody Plus Newsletter discusses “stuttering” of the mouse on a laptop.

I’ve had this issue too on my Lenovo Carbon x1g6 with all/most updates Win10Pro 20h2.

In the newsletter Fred suggests checking the power management of the USB mouse to ensure Win10 isn’t powering down the mouse during nanoseconds of inactivity; this via device manager/USB/properties/Power Management.

I don’t have ‘Power Management” as an option on my properties window.  Where did it go?  Why did it go?

Richard

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Look under Human Interface Devices

Attachments:
        Richard Merchant
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks.    Indeed.

Now that is something without logic but far be it for me to argue with Microsoft.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

Yeah wow, you never know when that mouse might draw too much current and blow something out.  Come on – it’s just a mouse!  But that’s MS nowadays, micromanaging everything.

Edit:  One other thing I do is always use a grey or black mouse pad.  LED mice are sensitive to writing on desk pads, etc.  This always cures any mouse stuttering I’ve had.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Charlie.
            doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

I agree, good observation. We use these mousepads for wireless mouses.
            You can manage to save batteries by using the correct background.

mosepad

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Attachments:
        DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

FWIW every stuttering mouse condition I’ve ever had was solved by a good cleaning. Clean the surface on which the mouse operates. Clean the feet or runners on which the mouse rides; even if they look clean, it’s almost always possible to scrape (gently!) something off of them. Clean the area around the tracker light; it’s recess tends to collect dirt and dust. If none of that works, clean the small grooves around the track wheel and between the body of the mouse and the movable clicking surfaces on which your fingers rest, using a dental pick, toothpick or similar.

And check the mouse battery, too.

IMHO almost all mouse software is junk; I’ve never been able to solve any mouse problem with it.

Edit to add: I had to clean a brand new mouse one, too. It had dirty feet and some apparent packing material in some of the small grooves.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by DrBonzo.
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

Yes to mouse pad. Had one that was cloth-thin which worked for a while but then started skipping/stuttering.  My pad now is a corsair hyperx – name sounds cool, liked the color, size was small – you know – the important stuff……  This one apparently gets dusty – whacked it like dusting a rug and fixed it.

- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, UEFI/GPT: (Win10 20H2 Pro x64), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. -

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: USB mouse power management

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.