News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• USB SSD dropped by Windows

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 USB SSD dropped by Windows

• Author
        AskWoody Plus

I have been getting rather frequent system errors – that always seem to chain together and result in a USB hard drive removing itself… some background…
        I have been using Macrium for some time without drama.  For a while (don’t know how long)​ I have been having errors that my backup drives were not available – they were fully plugged in but not recognized by Windows.  My backups are on two SSD drives and they both go down at the same time.  Initially I thought I had a bad USB hub – replaced it.  Bad USB drives – replaced… nothing to date has worked.  I have changed ports on the hub and where I plug in the hub.  I have changed cables, cleaned out shadow copies of USB drives/hubs, looked for new drivers, deleted drives and let windows reinstall the drives. I have changed the power management software to prevent Windows from shutting it off…

There are probably a number of things that I have done for better or worse that I can’t remember at the present…
        I have yelled at the computer in both binary and hex to no avail.  I am not technical but I have found that selectively beating on the machine does sometimes work.
        The pattern that I think I am finding is a COM warning ID #10016 – Local Activation Permission; followed by information on a DeviceStop ID#100; followed by mrcbt ID #100 – surprise removal – (IRP_MN_SURPRISE_REMOVAL); followed by the second mrcbt ID #100 – surprise removal – (IRP_MN_SURPRISE_REMOVAL); finally finishing with another COM warning ID #10016 – Local Activation Permission.
        I have not done a RegEdit on the key​​ to change the permission as the info that I found was from around 2016 and was for different keys.
        I am lost as to why and how to hone in on identifying the problem as opposed to the symptoms…

Thanks​​​​ for your thoughts…

[Moderator edit] Please remove HTML tags before posting

PKCano
        Manager

Reaching for a far-out solution:
        In Computer Management\Disk Management have you tried assigning a unique drive letter to each of the drives? That way, no matter where you plug them in, they assume the same drive letter each time.

I seem to remember it had something to do with similar circumstances. You will need to do research on this one, as it’s been years and years ago. But somewhere from my dim distant past, I have a note I have kept, for who-knows-what reason, about removing upper and lower filters from:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

bratkinson
        AskWoody Plus

PKCano may have hit on something.  I’ve done exactly that to force drives on my computer to be specific letters when they are installed (everything slides in/out on my computer).  As I’ve partitioned my bulk storage drives by ‘category’, having them forced to letters L on down keeps them ‘clear’ of other drives as well as leaves ‘space’ if I connect a drive via an external USB connection.

And to keep drive letters really far apart, the CD/DVD drive is X:

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Hi Jeff,

What is your computer setup? Can you post any photos? Was your computer upgraded to Windows 10?

Best regards,

–GTP

krism
        AskWoody Plus

Yes, definitely assign letters.

I remember having problems perhaps similar a year or 2 back but after I switched to Sabrent USB3 controllers I have had no prob. At the moment I have a USB3 capable 4 port Sabrent extension and a little USB3 Sabrent 2.5 drive housing for my 1T sammy SSD – plugged to a USB3 laptop port. I also have a Sabrent adapter that allows plugging of big or small drives, also USB3 capable. (I sometimes use the big 2T HDs for backup – cheap!!!) Darn things just seem to work for me.

- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, UEFI/GPT: (Win10 20H2 Pro x64), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. -

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: USB SSD dropped by Windows

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.