News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Use a 21” iMac as an HDMI Monitor

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Use a 21” iMac as an HDMI Monitor

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I have a spare Sling TV Air TV I need to rig up to a TV or monitor. I have an old 2011 21″ iMac that would suffice.

Is there a way to allow a 21″ 2011 iMac to be used as an HDMI monitor with a TV box device such as a Sling TV Air TV, or would it require a TV?

I know I’d need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but that would be doable (although a cheap TV might cost not much more).

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

• #2122422 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I found out you can’t use an iMac as an external monitor for non-Macs (since it only works that way in Target Disk Mode).

So I’m going to Plan B:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/making-sense-of-small-screen-resolutions-and-1080p-hd/

Nathan Parker

• #2123553 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Nathan, I suspect this might not help you, but it can’t hurt me to suggest it:

So now I am putting on my Rube Goldberg hat, to be ready for what follows:

If you have a Windows PC and can use SLING with it to watch TV, then you may also be able to connect your Mac to that PC over WiFi, for example, running the MS Remote Desktop App on the Mac itself. Then you can watch whatever you watch on that PC on your Mac. The PC’s screen resolution might not be 1080p, but if then you connect the PC to an external monitor that is capable of that high resolution, but is also too big for your physical desktop…

(I warned you this might happen, didn’t I?)

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2124031 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Good info, but I no longer have any PC hardware. I can watch Sling in a web browser on my Mac, but the experience on the web is a little clunky. The Air TV is an easier option. I have one hooked up to my parents’ TV when I need to show them something on Sling, and it is a breeze for them to use. Once their antenna DVR bites the dust, I may move their antenna programming to an Air TV DVR. I haven’t decided on that versus the Amazon DVR yet (but that’s for another forum thread).

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Use a 21” iMac as an HDMI Monitor

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.