• Use photos as your background on your desktop?

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10 version 21H2 – November 2021 Update » Use photos as your background on your desktop?

Author
    Topic

For many years I have had a rotation of photos as a desktop background.  I had it change every 5 minutes.  For many years this was a non issue.  I have added photos over the years.  Either something changed, or a photo I’ve placed into the rotation upset the cart because I have had to change it to only update once a day.  If I do it more often the file explorer gets sluggish and pauses.

Just a FYI.

Sometimes it’s not an application that is slowing you down, it’s something you’ve chosen

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I use a slideshow desktop background, too. On both a Lenovo Win 10 laptop and Dell Win 11 laptop.

Settings > Personalization > Background > Slideshow. In both Win 10 and Win 11 my choices are to change the picture every 1, 10, or 30 minutes, every 1 or 6 hours, or once every day. I don’t have a 5-minute option. I use change every 1 minute.

The Win 11 PC has 64GB RAM Core i7. The Win 10 has 8 GB RAM Core i3. Both are Windows Updated through September 2022. There are about 200 photos in my slideshow, ranging from 1 to 16 MB each.

I don’t sense any sluggishness on either PC. Nor do I sense a change if I switch from slideshow background to a single slide background.

‘cuse me every 10 minutes.  I think it was the size and resolution of the newer images.  I was taking them off of the Versailles social media images.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

‘cuse me every 10 minutes. I think it was the size and resolution of the newer images. I was taking them off of the Versailles social media images.

I also use photo slideshows for my background, but I curate the photos first.  They are in a Slideshow folder with individual sub-folders.  Every photo is copied to a slideshow sub-folder, then resized using Paint to 1920X1080 before it gets used.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do. We don't all have to do the same things.

I have 39 photos, all mine.They are original size. I tried a shortcut to one but this didn’t work. I do need to reduce their size though! No probs for me, largest is 14.9Mb

Eliminate spare time: start programming PowerShell

I have been thinking it would be nice to have a slideshow on the desktop, I tend to leave the same image for months or years. May I inquire what is used for slideshows?

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

May I inquire what is used for slideshows?

Settings > Personalization > Background > and the relevant settings are found there.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do. We don't all have to do the same things.

1 user thanked author for this post.

There’s also various 3rd party software that allows more control over the images and timing used for the slideshow than Windows built-in option.

Personally, I use the free Wallpaper Cycler Lite which allowed me to set a series of images of the Solar System and Space from various sources like the HST, WST, etc. as my background wallpaper that changes when I boot up, but only if it’s a “new date” verses the last time I booted up.

One nice feature is it “automatically” synchronizes any new images I add to the directories it uses (currently 250 images and counting) to include them in the daily sequence!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Use photos as your background on your desktop?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: