News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • used W7 home premium since 2011, not says not genuine

Posted on David Teague Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 used W7 home premium since 2011, not says not genuine

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MrChaz 1 day, 8 hours ago.

• Author

David Teague
      AskWoody Plus

I have a legal copy of W7 on this machine installed by the OEM (CyberPowerPC). Recently the OS declared itself “not a genuine copy.”

The necessary links to authenticate do not appear and the MS tech who logged in failed to fix the problem.

The MS web site where one can download a copy of W7 refused saying my authentication code is OEM and I have to obtain a copy from the mfgr, CyberPowerPC. The mfgr rep _says_ they not longer have W7.

I have a list of my apps and my data backed up (Carbonite AND on a separate external HD).

Shortly I will have a W7 install disk but no license. Am I safe to use this disk to repair my present installation?

• #1978753 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

This may or may not be of some use for you, check for and remove KB971033. Its an update that can and occasionally does play havoc with genuine installations with no other useful application than catch Pirate copies. Should it reappear, no worries just hide it again its not needed with genuine copies.
      You may or may not have an activation code for your install in your BIOS to check for the code/key use: http://neosmart.net/OemKey/ to retrieve your key, of its in there.
      OEM .ISO images can be obtained here: https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool with the down loader tool although apparently they have limited avail. i.e. only so many per month so it tells me for some reason but you dont need a key to get them. There’s other Win7 Images variants that may suit you there.
      As for Win7 repair disks, well pretty much any Win7 repair disk will work depending on x64 (amd64,64bit) or x86(32bit) “bitidness” the issue was OEM I believe they are supposed to be tied to the Machine built by a Manufacturer or Home Builder only so far as activation is required, but they’re intrinsically the same.
      I have had Win7 Machines before with OEM builds on them but only with major Manufacturers not small companies and they fix fine with the regular disks both Consumer and Business editions, Hopefully one of the other esteemed more knowledgeable members can cast further detailed light on the issue, but not really a betting guy here but i’ll wager KB971033 has sneaked in to the mix here and its the easiest and least worrisome to remove with no harm done.

• #1978773 Reply

mledman
      AskWoody Plus

If you reinstall Windows, you will need your activation key.  It may be printed on the model /serial tag.  This Lifewire page https://www.lifewire.com/fix-this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-errors-4177421 may help.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1984186 Reply

MrChaz
      AskWoody Lounger

I suffered symptoms akin to yours a good while back and removing the KB971033 patch fixed it for me once system restarted.

illegitimi Non Carborundum

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: used W7 home premium since 2011, not says not genuine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.