News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • User account icon on Desktop

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update User account icon on Desktop

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cthru 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Setting up my new W10 computer, almost done, when last night a folder for the user account, with some icon chosen from the folder icon gallery suddenly appeared on the user desktop. That is, I noticed it. It certainly hadn’t been there long.

Opening it, the location bar just gives its name (the user account name), no structure, whereas opening the “real” one by going to Users/ etc. in Explorer, shows the proper structure. However, deleting a subfolder from the new folder (I chose Pictures, since it’s empty) also deletes it from the real one, so I don’t want to delete it — but I don’t want it to stay, either. It contains all the account’s subfolders and files.

Help, please?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Cthru.
    • #2017160 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

Does the “icon” have an arrow inside a small box on it? If so it’s a shortcut to the named folder and you can safely delete it.

One other thing comes to mind; right click on the “icon” and if present select unpin.

• #2017899 Reply

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Bluetrix, thanks for your reply. It is not a shortcut, apparently. Here’s another anomaly: it appears on my user account desktop, but if I go through File Explorer (C/Users/User Name/Desktop), it does not appear in the listed items, while everything else on the desktop does.

I’m attaching a screen shot of the dialogue described, from opening the icon on the desktop.

Now, I suppose I can copy everything (files and folders) in the account except that folder to another drive, delete the account, then recreate the account after a reboot, and load everything back in, but I suspect that will also require setting Outlook back up, resetting all the Windows, privacy settings, etc., etc., which I don’t want to do unless absolutely necessary. I’m hoping there is another way.

Attachments:
      • #2017979 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The Desktop can have things from other locations – global user items.

Right click on the icon and select Properties. What does it show? Screenshot?

cheers, Paul

• #2017980 Reply

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Thank you for responding. I guess I forgot to note that there is no Properties item in the right-click menu. Stranger than fiction…

• #2017988 Reply

Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

Thank you for responding. I guess I forgot to note that there is no Properties item in the right-click menu. Stranger than fiction…

What version of Windows 10 are you using, Home, Pro?

No properties showing on right click suggests a security setting is at work.

Or:

Sometimes it can be the simplest of things, as @cyberSAR suggests below.

• #2017986 Reply

cyberSAR
      AskWoody Plus

Try this right-click desktop. Choose personalize. Click themes and click desktop icon settings. It probably has User Files checked. Uncheck and it’ll remove it.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2018045 Reply

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Bravo, cyberSAR! Great detective work! You’ve made my day. Thank you!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: User account icon on Desktop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.