News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • User profile contains a space, inaccessible from path

Posted on WSjsachs177 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 User profile contains a space, inaccessible from path

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  WSjsachs177 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author
    • #1956230 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

What build of Windows 10 are you using? The default path has several entries with spaces in them (Program Files, for example) and Windows doesn’t add quotes around it.

Where are you setting the path?

• #1959414 Reply

WSjsachs177
      AskWoody Lounger

The build is18362.239.

I’m setting the environment variable in System > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variablesthe System applet’s Advanced Settings dialog. From my perspective that’s the only right place to set it; actually I didn’t realize there were any other places I could.

You’re correct that the default path has other entries that contain spaces. In my case there’s one such entry, referring to …\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps, and there are no real executable files in it, so I can’t tell whether Windows can access it or not. (There are some zero-length .EXE files there, which makes no sense to me; it’s probably a Windows 10 thing that I don’t know about yet.

Thank you for your interest. After tonight I won’t have access to this system again for a week. If you post again before then I’ll respond as soon as I can.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: User profile contains a space, inaccessible from path

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.